• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming Keyboard? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Decided on the Ducky DK9008 Shine for my new mechanicals. Was hoping to get the Razer BWU stealth but... They only sell it at the Razer online store and I can't wait 2 weeks for a replacement.

Decided on the Ducky DK9008 Shine for my new mechanicals. Was hoping to get the Razer BWU stealth but... They only sell it at the Razer online store and I can't wait 2 weeks for a replacement.

That keyboard seems to be surprisingly hard to get. Its not on Amazon, NewEgg and they dont carry it at frys either. I hope that you can find it somewhere :)

That keyboard seems to be surprisingly hard to get. Its not on Amazon, NewEgg and they dont carry it at frys either. I hope that you can find it somewhere :)

Well... I already have it. :p I got the Blue LEDs with Cherry MX-Browns. It's hard to get if you're in the US or Europe but just requires a little digging if you're in Asia. :)

I've used my 15$ logitech Walmart keyboard for about 4 years used two others but one broke and the other sucked alwayswent back to this one has withstood many angry bashings haha

I have a Sidewinder x6. I am completely happy. The magnetite detachable number pad attaches to both sides and on the left it works as extra macros. I didn't like the over sized led and volume control nobs at first, but now i use that volume control over all others just because its so accessible.

I have a Sidewinder x6. I am completely happy. The magnetite detachable number pad attaches to both sides and on the left it works as extra macros. I didn't like the over sized led and volume control nobs at first, but now i use that volume control over all others just because its so accessible.

When I was looking a gaming kbds that was one that I was seriously considering esp since the gaming place out here uses them for their systems. It has a lot of macro keys which is nice for MMOs. I ended up with a mech instead but that one looked good.

Well, i just put in a request for a Razer BlackWidow at work for my Work PC. There is about a 50/50 chance it will get rejected just because its called a "Gaming Keyboard", but i didn't like the design of any of the other mechanical's.

I wanted to try out a mechanical keyboard, yet i didnt want to drop the money on one in case i didnt like it, so this was the best way heh. Well see if it gets approved.

Of all the available mechanical keyboards, the razer one is the worst. The only one I'd actually consider getting is the stealth edition ultimate.

Of all the available mechanical keyboards, the razer one is the worst. The only one I'd actually consider getting is the stealth edition ultimate.

Well it may get rejected anyway. But which one would you recommend that isnt an insane price? (keeping in mind i dont have PS/2 ports on my work machine)

Well it may get rejected anyway. But which one would you recommend that isnt an insane price? (keeping in mind i dont have PS/2 ports on my work machine)

Rosewill mechanicals are nice. YOu can swap the cable for ps2 or usb, and it does 6kro on usb, and nkro on ps2. :)

You just pick the switches you want. (search newegg for rosewill mechanical, and then figure out what switch you want and buy one)

reds are very light to type on, blues are very fun to type on, but loud. browns have a lot of the same fun, but are less loud, and blacks are a stiffer red.

Just got the Cooler Master Quickfire. It is a fantastic little keyboard, everything you love about a mechanical keyboard is met or exceeded with this one. It is very compact but still retains the same distance between keys as the standard QWERTY. It does not have a NUM pad, which I knew going in. This is how I realised how much I use the num pad lol.. No biggie, I can get used to the top numbers. The only caveat that happens with no num pad is that my motherboard's bios likes the -/+ keys to adjust things, and I only have the "-" key as a default, the "+" (default "=") key needs to use shift which doesn't work in BIOS.. I was lucky that my bios also accepts backspace and custom number entry :D

Otherwise, this keyboard is absolutely awesome for gaming. Takes a little use to for the keys since they are more sensitive than my other wireless keyboard in the sense that they push in easier. The click is awesome for when you press fast, but when your fingers hover over the arrows(wasd) sometimes I didn't notice i had one of the keys pressed and my vehicle or guy would turn.. This is not a negative, if anything it corrects something I must have been doing wrong since the beginning, resting my fingers on the keys when not in use.

Overall I am not going back to my old keyboard, this thing feels and works so much better. There is a 100% difference, its not the same at all to me to game with this. Does it increase how well I play? I think it does by a margin. Its like going from a bench seat in your car to a custom fit high grade bucket seat. The comfort while driving would be night and day which would completely change your alertness while driving etc.. With this keyboard I feel it definitely gives me an edge, where before I would press the wrong key, now this keyboard makes sure I have my finger on the right key and makes sure I lift my fingers off the keys when not in use.

CHeers

Rosewill mechanicals are nice. YOu can swap the cable for ps2 or usb, and it does 6kro on usb, and nkro on ps2. :)

You just pick the switches you want. (search newegg for rosewill mechanical, and then figure out what switch you want and buy one)

reds are very light to type on, blues are very fun to type on, but loud. browns have a lot of the same fun, but are less loud, and blacks are a stiffer red.

I've blacklisted Rosewill products as being crap. Even if they aren't the main manufacture, they are still responsible. My concerns seem to be proven by all the reviews stating problems & failures with the modular connection of their Mechanical keyboard (which is why i didn't pick them in the first place). Why didn't they just use a USB/PS2 adapter like every other keyboard manufacture? Might have actually saved this keyboard.

I've blacklisted Rosewill products as being crap. Even if they aren't the main manufacture, they are still responsible. My concerns seem to be proven by all the reviews stating problems & failures with the modular connection of their Mechanical keyboard (which is why i didn't pick them in the first place). Why didn't they just use a USB/PS2 adapter like every other keyboard manufacture? Might have actually saved this keyboard.

my rosewill coffee maker that i got on sale on newegg is pretty nice:D

I will be getting a few mechanicals here for a review/showdown and at least one will be a Rosewill. I will keep you guys updated on what all I get [and from who] when I'm working on the article/reviews.

I and all filco customers, have very little problems with that. It's a micro usb port. It's not going to break all the time. It's important, when considering a rosewill mechanical keyboard, to look at it as a Filco, and not a Rosewill.

I will be getting a few mechanicals here for a review/showdown and at least one will be a Rosewill. I will keep you guys updated on what all I get [and from who] when I'm working on the article/reviews.

Is one of them going to be a Noppoo Choc Mini keyboard???

That, to me at least, seems to be the best bang for the buck... but I can wait...

Surprisingly, the keyboard got approved and ive been using it for about a week now. One thing ive notice that i find HELLA annoying, and that doesn't seem to be exclusive to the Razer, is the CapsLock key isn't standard in that they don't use the cutout. This has caused me to hit it many times reaching for the A key without a feel indicator that i've over shot it that im use to having. This kinda makes me rage over the keyboard every-time i hit the dam thing.

other than that, its not too bad to type on. It just sucks that Blue switches seem to be the standard, cause i find them a bit too loud. Given the description, i would have proly preferred Brown switches. but then ive not felt the other ones so perhaps they would be better.. id dono.

Its not bad, however i dont particularity feel that its a big deal over non-mechanical's so far. But then ive never had an issue with ghosting so i suppose i wouldn't see that advantage.

My only other gripe is the 'media' keys, such as they are, are FN keys built into the Function Keys, which i dislike. I prefer independent media keys for quick access.

Ill keep you posted.

There are many boards with browns or reds. Most of your hardcore users hate media keys, so you are in the minority and likely no board will ever happen that will meet your needs, but if you find one please let me know!

Back