• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats a good sound card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flanagun

I'm looking to buy a new sound card i need something with digital optical out. it gonn abe used mainly for mp3's and cs

Hercules Game Theater XP
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum

depends on your budget, the Creative sounds a little better, but more expensive. I've heard good things about the Hercules too, so you may give it a try. They are both top-of-the-line soundcard you can find.:D

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum if you have an amd/intel chipset and the Hercules Game Theater XP if you have a via chipset.

If I were you, and was just listening to MP3's and playing counter-strike, I would opt for a cheaper sound card, like HMMMM, let's say a Sound Blaster Live Value, (Optical out included). I wouldnt get an audigy unless you are really into sound, and sound editing. And if I did get an Audigy, I would go all the way, and get the Platinum...

Don Quixote said:
If I were you, and was just listening to MP3's and playing counter-strike, I would opt for a cheaper sound card, like HMMMM, let's say a Sound Blaster Live Value, (Optical out included). I wouldnt get an audigy unless you are really into sound, and sound editing. And if I did get an Audigy, I would go all the way, and get the Platinum...

well if your gonna buy a new card u may as well spend a lil extra and get an audigy if you want that brand. plus u get the extra firewire option which is nice for some ppl with a dv cam or any FW devices

i think ill take a look at the herc cards i already have 1394 neway

yeah santa CRUZ ;) cards do have a great quality to price ratio. But i thoroughly enjoy my game theater!

Yeah I have a Hercules Fortissmo II Sound card... When I got it some time ago the price was not bad..it was $60 and the Santa Cruz was $80 but had no Optical out for my mini Disc...So I went with the Hercules... But I might replace it with a Sound Blaster Audigty.

Back