• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats Beyond 990fx for AM3+ Mobo's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last I read any rumor was that 1090FX was put off while AMD dealt with the APUs. Rumors within the last 5 days seem to say that 1090FX will not come until after PD, which means with Steamroller.

Thanks Rgone, thats the first I have ever heard of there being a 1090fx mobo coming out.
I do hope that they do come out for AM3+ and not for AM4 unless AM4 will be backward compatible with AM3+.
I also hope they sort out all them bios bugs and issues they are having with the 990FX boards.
I am thinking the speed and benchmark issues they are having is a result of those bios issues not from new inferior cpu architecture.

Yeah I was told about 1090fx but wasnt 100% sure so I didnt say anything. Piledriver will utilize am3+, steamroller will most likely be am4 along with excavator.

There were some news blurbs/rumors floating around last fall about the 1000 series mobos, but I have not heard much lately. This is partly why I decided to get a CHV right now, it appears that the 1090/1070fx will not be seen anytime soon. Here is an excerpt from a TPU article about the 1090 last fall. They are quoting DonanimHaber, so you can make your own call on it's value:

In 2012, AMD chipset family will be led by the 10-series chipset. At the very top is AMD 1090FX northbridge, followed by 1070. 1090FX will be designed to give out two PCI-Express x16 links, which can then drive up to four graphics cards. The 1070, on the other hand, gives out just one x16 link, which can drive up to two graphics cards. AMD will scrap its present model of 990X and 970, in which the northbridge is essentially the same piece of silicon, with the 990X having lane switches and supporting CrossFireX. A big revelation here is that the 10-series chipset will not feature PCI Express Gen 3.0. We'd normally expect AMD to be at the forefront of supporting new technologies. If we remember, AMD 790FX was the first AMD platform chipset in the industry to feature PCI-Express 2.0. Also, it is highly likely that AMD's Radeon HD 7000 series graphics, which are slated for later this year, will support PCI-Express 3.0 interface.

34a.jpg

They are saying that the 1090 would precede the release of PD, but this appears to not be the case at this point. We shall see. They were wrong about the 7000 series GPUs being PCIe 3.0, so there's that too.

I was thinking maybe 1090T1090T1090TFXFXFXFX :rofl:

The series names are definitely starting to overlap and by necessity be reused. Both Intel and AMD have had "955" CPUs for instance. The worst naming blunder recently has to be with the HD-6790 GPUs. They have the same PCB and 256bit Barts GPU as the 6850/70 so if they stuck to their "traditional" naming regiment it should have been called a "6830", being the lesser core# but higher clock speed binning of Barts 6870 chips. But apparently some pinhead marketing guy decided they wanted to have another offering to round out the 6700 series, so they named it 6790, which of course goes against the standard naming regiment of calling a dual GPU version of a particular series of GPU a xx90.

Then of course there is the confusion relating to the 6790 and 6970 monikers as well.
Endless fun with typos and misunderstandings when talking about my 6790's :facepalm:

Last edited:
The series names are definitely starting to overlap and by necessity be reused. Both Intel and AMD have had "955" CPUs for instance. The worst naming blunder recently has to be with the HD-6790 GPUs. They have the same PCB and 256bit Barts GPU as the 6850/70 so if they stuck to their "traditional" naming regiment it should have been called a "6830", being the lesser core# but higher clock speed binning of Barts 6870 chips. But apparently some pinhead marketing guy decided they wanted to have another offering to round out the 6700 series, so they named it 6790, which of course goes against the standard naming regiment of calling a dual GPU version of a particular series of GPU a xx90.

Then of course there is the confusion relating to the 6790 and 6970 monikers as well.
Endless fun with typos and misunderstandings when talking about my 6790's :facepalm:

Yeah tell me about it... it even confuses me some times all this same name stuff..:confused:

Back