• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED What's the best Win 8 Metro/start menu toggle application?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I'm setting up an old Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows 8 consumer preview. They will probably freak out with Metro so I want to give them the ability to toggle between Metro and the classic UI so they can attempt to learn it eventually.

What are the best apps out there. I'd prefer first hand experience advice, but any info would be helpful.

I don't have any first-hand experience, but I know ViStart has the ability to toggle between the Win7 and Win8 Start menus. But as far as software capable of toggling the entire GUI, I don't know of anything like that available.

i've been doing some research, looks like you can do it with GPP, however, the policy object requires "windows 8 server"

its hard coded in the OS that is 100% sure, microsoft is hiding it ;)

I think ViStart isn't turning off Metro like the registry hacks do, but it is creating a UI button with the linkage the start menu has. Wish Microsoft would do this in the final version.

Back