• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the better gaming system ? Close call i think . . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I Agree with everyone ecept I would probably go with the gforce 5900 pulls very nice benchmarks in that match up it would rule. AMD because it's cheeper Intel if you want to do Encoding but My AMD choice would be a AMD 64 3000 with a overclock to 3400 for shear game performance it is the hot market choice right now.
hopefully you can save money on the rest.

Truewall, i did buy a new system but had to rma it cos they gave me a ****ing B core

MRip said:
For gaming, the 9800pro system will destroy the 9600pro system.
What has failed to be said... the 9800 has 8 pipelines and the 9600 has 4 which makes it completely suck compared to the 9800... no overclocking will make a 9600 into a 9800... You'd probably get more performance from a 9500... which can be overclocked to a 9700 incidentally.

I have owned the 2500+ in the past and now run a P4C. A 2.4C wich has a multi of 12. 12 X 250 = 3000mhz. 250 X 4 = 1000 FSB. Grab the Intel and game your *** off!

if your gaming get a 9800 pro no question. A 5900 non ultra would be the best value choice but I worry abouts its true performance in dx9 games. So I'd stick with the 9800 pro or non pro. overclocked the pentium system would be faster than the amd system. If you want to save some money why not get a 2.4 instead of the 2.8. From the database they seem to get the same general overclock of 3.2 to 3.5 ghz. though I guess the 2.8's do have the newer d1 stepping but I'm not sure if that results in significantly higher overclocks or not. Used solely for gaming my monies on the intel system with a 2.4 and a 9800 pro or non pro it shouldn't be too much more than your intel system configured now.

stick with the AMD rig, i myself am slowly developing an AMD love...methinks :p

the 9800 has 8 pipelines, the 9600 has 4, it still aint a bad card..

but id go for the AMD rig... if possible id stay away from Club3D, ive got a club3d radeon 9800pro, and it has given me tons of problems atm.... the only reason i got an intel rig now is because i dont know enough about amd :shame:

@ the people who say intel wins because of higher FSB -->
Numbers mean nothing
offcourse it can still pull of cool tricks and all because of the higher FSB, but this doesnt mean the AMD sucks bigtime, otherwise they wouldve developed a different thing...

i think the AMD rig with a radeon 9800 pro (preferably not club3d, id take a hercules..) would be the better choice.

for those who care, my radeon from club3d has got samsung 3.3ns chips on it.

This isn't even close to an AMD vs. Intel comparison, everything you said is negligible except for the video card.

The two machines, aside from from the video card, are reasonably comparable as far as average performance goes, I'd say 25% difference, TOPS. And that'd only be in a few places, and none of them would be gaming.

The difference between a 9800pro and a 9600pro is the difference between a really nice Mustang and a really nice Ferrari, you can do all of the stuff you want to the Mustang, but it will never be a Ferrari, ever. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Find a few benchmarks of the 9600 vs. the 9800, that'll make up your mind, I'm sure. :D

I too will throw in my hat for the AMD setup. As many have said, the difference between the two cpu's will not be that much at all in gaming, but the difference between the video cards can be significant in some situations to quite hefty in others. I believe Hardocp just recently had a review of a video card where they also used different processors to see how much of an effect they had on the performance of the card, in most cases, the difference was negligible and only in a few was it barely noticeable, and this was with cpu's that varied a lot greater than your two choices.

if its just for games, take the amd withthe 9800 pro

its an awesome card

the systems (minus the vid carD) are pretty dang close in performance

but the 9800pro , will really shine in the games

DaRky4YoU said:
lol u guys sure dont make it easy for me

As far as video go to anandtech.com great resource for decision making

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1904
This will certainly show who's on top 9800 duh but the 9600 for only 80 bones not a bad choice either. Sorry you will have to look that one up on your own. I feel free to say the 9800 is the dominate video card, but pricey.

Really though the AMD 64 is the dominant game machine. The 3000 will hit 3400 and only about 220 bones

Left with the choice I would probably go insane.
But decide on the AMD system surely because of the video.
I would be trying to figure out a way to get 3000-64.
Because then I would rule as far as gaming goes.
But then the 2.4c is very appealing.
OK going insane now.

Very simple, go to service.madonion.com, and run some searches to see the scores between the P4+9600's Vs AMD+9800's.

Get the 9800 system. Even a P4 3.2EE overclocked to 4 GHz will have a tough time beating a moderately overclocked AMD with a 9800 Pro.

EDIT: I just searched myself, here are the results:

Top 3 scores with P4 and 9600:
(Slowest P4 of the bunch was running at 4.1 GHz)

Top e scores with AMD XP and 9800:
(Filtered from 2.0GHz to 2.3 GHz since that's about the average OC on a Barton)

24923 @ 2200 MHz
24191 @ 2150 MHz
24102 @ 2200 MHz
All from unique users. I know these scores are extreme, but it just shows how much more of a potential the 9800 pro has over the 9600 series, uncluding the XT's.

The best score using AMD was 28197 running at 2821 MHz.
But not like you're gonna get your AMD to run that fast anyway, nor will you be using a P4 EE @ 4.1 GHz :)

Last edited:
You're probably better off with a Saphire Radeon card, they're the same as the ones in ATI's retail box.

Best system to worst:

Athlon64 + Radeon 9800
P4 + Radeon 9800
AthlonXP + Radeon 9800
Athlon64 + Radeon 9600
P4 + Radeon 9600
AthlonXP + Radeon 9600

You might want to consider Athlon64 + Radeon 9600, it's better than the P4 + Radeon 9600.

Back