• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok decided my new system, tell me if its good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

AMD Athlon DDR XP 2500+ (333FSB/512KB)

TwinMos 512MB 32 Bit PC400/PC3200 CL2.5

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe U133 nForce2 (rev. 2.0) Moederbord

Maxtor 6Y080P0 : 80 Gb (7200/133-8Mb)

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB DDR DVI/TV (mem speed 400Mhz)

Super-Flower SF-461BK Black Case (400 Watt)

id like to know if this is a fast system and if its a good overclockable system

thx

For the most part yes it is good. The weak point so far is the RAM - you might want to look into something that will do Cas 2.0. Most manufacturers will have something that does 2-2-2 or 2-3-3 timings.

Most people would probably suggest an Abit NF7-S or DFI Infinity motherboards, those are both nForce2 Ultra, but are generally a little better as far as OC performance than the ASUS.

Don't go for ASUS. they don't overclock that well. I will agree with Ghost and go with the Abit NF7-S. For the ram, try the OCZ. I heard those ram overclocked very well. As for your video card, stick with 128MB. Currently, there is no game out there that will use the full 256mb ram. Sometimes, in order to keep the cost low, manufacturers uses slower ram for the 256mb version. The end result is that the 128mb will run faster than the 256mb. HL2 and Doom 3 are rumored to be able to use the full 256MB. But your GPU will be too slow to run high resolution anyways, which will render the extra memory useless. Save the money and go for the 128mb.

Just wondering if you can wait 6 months before getting your computer. By the end of 2nd quarter this year, computer systems will go standard with PCI-Express and all AGP8X will be outdated. The mobo released then will not have AGP8X, because they cannot co-exist with PCI-Express. So, you might want to consider waiting for a little longer (actually quite long) before getting your new computer.

damn wait even longer? :(

im currently using a p3 500 mhz i really need a new pc.. maybe ill get some budget pc for the next 6 months then, amd 1800+ or sometihng

why do people act like AGP is gonna totally fall off the face of the earth when PCI-express comes out?

Dark, theres absolutely no reason for you to wait unless you want AMD64. there are FAR too many AGP based computers in the market for AGP cards to up and disappear. the entire video card market wont change from AGP to PCI-express that fast.

more over, when it does come out, your not gonna wanna buy the first gen boards anyway, so theres another wait as well.

the only two components affected by it wound be the mobo, and the video card, and neither that you've picked are that exspensive anyway. its not like your planning on buying a $500 video card.

i say go for it, cause 6 months from now, someone else will be telling you to wait for something else.

I second the notion towards purchasing the configuration you came up with at this point time. it's price/rerformance ratio is to ramain fairly high for the whole 2004 year. Though, I would aim for a lower lattency ram if possible.

PS. Correct me if I am wrong but for some basic/budget cooling solution (which I assume will be implemented on this system), there isn't much difference in overclockability betwen an ASUS and Abit boards.

DaRky4YoU said:
so redarmy u say my system isnt good, is 2800 barton better?

no, he just 2nd the notion for better ram.

as for Abit vs. Asus, i've always found the Abit's to be better. the Asus's always leave me uninspired and feeling as though the board is missing something.

2500 Barton is a good choice. I am looking to upgrade to it myself. No sence in paying axtra >50$ for 2800+ when they overclock to the same speeds.

The twinmos is perfectly fine ram and cheap (though tbh I haven't looked at prices in a while.) I've had three machines with NF7s and 2x256MB twinmos in dual channel. All pairs did at least 223fsb (one pair, probably due more to the board, doing 231) at cas 2.

Back