• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the fastest (stock or OC'd) today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonsterMaxx

Registered
I came into the office today to a dead CAD station.

Not the power supply, not drive or video card, not memory. All it does it flicks the fans just so briefly. So it's a mobo or pcsr.

It 2 years old anyway and I'd been thinking about upgrading it.
Asus P6x58D-e, i7 2.8 running at 3.8.

So, being totally unprepared for this to happen, having done zero research yet, I turn to my forum brethren for advise.

If you had $1500 to spend, what would be your dream machine?

I need to get it fast, so it should be in stock somewhere, newegg preferably.

I'm partial to Asus motherboards too.

I'll need mobo, pcsr, ram, big HSF. NO WATER COOLING. I'm just not that into overclocking. I don't think the xeons are any faster in CAD than a i7 so let's just focus on the fastest i7s on the market that are overclockable, good steady fast ram and a low profile HSF (this fits in a 3U case.)

Thanks so much in advance for any info you can give me.

Last edited:
i7 3770K
Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 (workstation so I want slightly better hardware than the normal Ex4 we recommend)
2x8GB DDR3 ram
GTX680 (CAD apps use CUDA I believe)
Hyper 212 Evo

3U case? Not a standard case? A bit confused there.

What is PCSR?

I know what it is... (I work in a data center). I just have no idea of the height clearance of it internally or why that framework is being used as a workstation in the first place. Not to mention, a lot of rack mounts like that do not conform to ATX specs which is 'home' hardware as opposed to 'enterprise' and server boards.

It's because I'm a small business owner with a lot of computers and have them all in a rack on the other side of a wall - NOISE reduction. All my computers are in 3U cases. Though I do have room for a 4U if I were to replace this one, though I see little need for it.

I've been doing some digging and I have the CoolerMaster Gemini cooler which is socket compatible. Also, filling a cart at newegg I came up with

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2800 Desktop Memory Model CMD16GX3M4A2800C11
Item #: N82E16820233364
$639.99

ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131858
$368.99

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
Item #: N82E16819116501
$329.99

Sorry, my abbreviation for processor is pcsr.

You dont remotely need the MIVE... its not made for your uses. Its made for extreme overclocking (Dry Ice and LN2). That Asrock I selected is fine.. or a MUCH lesser Asus board if you prefer.

You dont need Dominator Platinums either. They look pretty, but they are going to look pretty inside a sealed, non windowed case. Why pay that premium for something you wont see that isnt any better/more stable than something that costs literally 1/6th of that price? I would also go 2x8GB instead. At least that leaves you room to upgrade if needed. Why 2800Mhz ram as well? You had better hope the IMC on your CPU can handle that, not a lot can... Here is 2133Mhz CL 9 for $140.

What I selected, I feel is more appropriate for the tasks you listed and saves you shed loads of money over what you listed above.

Its cheaper and just as good as far as power phases and such.

(see my edit above RE: memory speed)

OK, so

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-16GTX
$269.98
($134.99 each)

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$189.99

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
$329.99

With all that savings how about we find a nice 3u power supply to go with it?

Any reason the current one wont work?

And what form factor is the PSU for that box? 3U is the height, not the form factor of the PSU.

Also, not sure of your location (may want to edit that in so we know at a quick glance...you have been here long enough, LOL!), but if you are in the USA and have a microcenter around you, that 3770K is $230. ;)

No microcenter. That sux, it's like $100 cheaper! How's that possible?

No reason to replace this psu other than it's old. I robbed it out of a server that was decommissioned. I know it works. 650w. I assume the other one 460w in the machine worked too.

Form Factor. Not sure what we call this one, but here's a photo.

The one on top was the one powering the machine and the one in place (sort of) is the one from the server.

Attachments

• IMAG0940 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0940 (Medium).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 70
Back