• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's with AMD and Registered memory ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

What's the hold up ?

Seems rediculous they can be even considered in the server market unless registered is merely a gimmick !!

:confused:

Anyone from AMD wanna stand up ?

The same as Intel - registered is for server market, unbuffered is for workstations/desktops and small servers. I'm not sure where is the problem. Maybe I missed something but the last server that I was selling had registered ECC DDR4-3200.

Ryzen desktop CPUs can use registered memory. I researched that last spring and built a box with regular desktop motherboard and CPU to be used as a server for a small private school. I ordered some registered memory that did not work so went back to unregistered RAM. Found out later from the RAM manufacturer that I should have gotten unbuffered registered RAM.

I don't think AMD is "officially" supported like Intel is..

And that's the question . Why not ?

I've been looking into builds and seems AMD can use ecc unbuffered but not ecc registered

Anyone got links to official support from AMD side ?

Ryzen desktop CPUs can use registered memory. I researched that last spring and built a box with regular desktop motherboard and CPU to be used as a server for a small private school. I ordered some registered memory that did not work so went back to unregistered RAM. Found out later from the RAM manufacturer that I should have gotten unbuffered registered RAM.

Ryzen CPUs can't use registered ECC RAM. They can use unbuffered ECC but ECC mode works only when the motherboard supports it.
There is no desktop motherboard that officially supports Registered ECC. Also, registered = buffered so there is no such thing as unregistered buffered RAM.

I don't think AMD is "officially" supported like Intel is..

And that's the question . Why not ?

I've been looking into builds and seems AMD can use ecc unbuffered but not ecc registered

Anyone got links to official support from AMD side ?

Ryzen CPUs were designed to support ECC. However, as I said above, they support unbuffered ECC. Epyc CPUs support registered ECC.
When you use unbuffered ECC on motherboards that don't support ECC, then RAM will work but ECC won't.

The same is with Intel but Intel was officially supporting unbuffered ECC earlier. It doesn't mean that unbuffered ECC didn't work on AMD in the previous generations. I remember it was supported by single motherboards in FX generation, but not many.

Back