• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when did Chrome become such a pig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am surprised that Microsoft did not make their new browser competitive with Firefox and Chrome.

I am also surprised that Google did not pay off Firefox add-on creators to make their add-on versions for Chrome, they would have inflicted a bigger blow to Firefox that way than anything else they tried. If Firefox add-ons were available for Chrome, I would consider abandoning Firefox, but they are not - so that's a moot point.

If they were, I would take a look at the privacy issues, I always go back to not understanding why Google Update is being intercepted on my computer AFTER I uninstall Chrome? Why in the world is it accessing the internet if Chrome has been uninstalled?!
Also Google Chrome tends to install itself the moment you "touch" the exe setup file, there is no ordinary process where it asks you where you want to install it and what version is being installed, etc.

Diversity of Firefox add-ons keeps people loyal to Firefox.
I don't know why Google doesn't pay-off every Firefox add-on creator to make a Chrome version because a lot of people don't want to switch to Chrome because all their add-ons are not available for Chrome and they are so used to having them on Firefox. Also : :D ... man,

This is precisely why I am on FF. :)

I am surprised that Microsoft did not make their new browser competitive with Firefox and Chrome.

I am also surprised that Google did not pay off Firefox add-on creators to make their add-on versions for Chrome, they would have inflicted a bigger blow to Firefox that way than anything else they tried. If Firefox add-ons were available for Chrome, I would consider abandoning Firefox, but they are not - so that's a moot point.

If they were, I would take a look at the privacy issues, I always go back to not understanding why Google Update is being intercepted on my computer AFTER I uninstall Chrome? Why in the world is it accessing the internet if Chrome has been uninstalled?!
Also Google Chrome tends to install itself the moment you "touch" the exe setup file, there is no ordinary process where it asks you where you want to install it and what version is being installed, etc.

For the longest time, I too avoided Chrome for the same reason. However, many of the "important" add-on's for Firefox are available for Chrome now. And if not the exact add-on, there are alternatives with equal functionality, and in 1 case, even better then the Firefox counterpart. It's why I finally made the switch to Chrome and am happy so far.

The only thing I don't like, is the way Chrome handles muiltiple tabs. No way as good as Firefox, though there is a extension for that as well.

I start up my browser with ~28 pinned tabs + the previous session, currently have 44 tabs open and the session is ~5 days uptime (so probably a few zombies loaded still), using ~2.4GB; Pale Moon x64 26 Beta (uses ~10% more memory than the Release x64, which uses 15-20% more than the x86).

My usage doesn't suit Chrome :)

I almost never have more than 10 tabs open... I don't get it. There's multitasking, and then there's just... Opening stuff for the sake of opening stuff.

Well, for some people, their browser is the commonest program used. I'm often researching stuff for a fairly large number of people, online conversations across time zones can take several days, so when we happen to coincide, it's very quick to just switch through a few tabs to dig out specifics related to the latest reply.

I also use it for my own reasons; ~300 pages pulled up and studied, only to be filtered down to ~2 pages that contain accurate and relevant information is about my record; most paper chases are cut down to much less than that, DDG is usually very useful in removing the chaff.

Apparently not only are RAM issues with Chrome hitting people (it's an internet meme now), but the latest build of Windows 10 is preventing Chrome from even functioning properly.

Last edited:
What issues? Cute meme, but I would have liked to have seen more details instead. ;)

My only issue with Chrome in W10 is with the 64bit version and battlelog (for BF4). Otherwise, it works fine for me.

I'm not having issues with Chrome either, but that has me a little worried now. I just upgraded a client's PC to Win10 last night, and she needs Chrome to access a website for work. Sounds like I should have had her hold onto 7 instead.

Not the point. She's a new client, and any issues she has from this point on with that computer very well may get blamed on me. That's not a good thing for someone trying to get their name out.

Not that this is a tough fix, and her primary browser in 7 was IE anyway. I just don't want her to start having issues, and decide that I'm not worth going back to for computer work.

I understand.. however, you have a workaround for the potential issue and you also couldn't see this coming either. Things happen.

Dlaw, note that the issue affected Windows 10 insider new build.

Windows 10 new insider builds, will be by definition unstable. They are Beta builds. They gave insider versions to people for free in exchange for having them be guinea pigs so they can catch more bugs for the official releases not associated with Windows 10 insider program.

So this is not about Windows 10 upgrade most people installed.

Whoever has an insider build, expect many more major bugs in years to come. That is what Beta versions are, buggy test versions.
Hopefully there won't be too many of them but this is exactly why they gave insiders Windows 10 for free.

Back