• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When does RAC stabilize?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Every morning when I get up I Have a look at BIONC and my RAC his risen a few hundred or so. I wonder when it's gonna stabilize. What's the story there?

It depends on how much you have changed it. A small dip or increase, perhaps 5-7 days. If you're just starting out with a RAC of zero, then it could take 3 weeks.

RAC is actually a complicated formula. It looks at the points you've earned in the last 14 days and averages the credits you earn, according to the time (in seconds no less), that you earned them.

How's this:
Each time new Credit granted, the following function is used to update the Recent Average Credit of the Computer, Participant, or Team: RAC(new) = RAC(old)*d(t) + (1-d(t))*credit(new)
Where d(t) is the decay function, and t is the time (in seconds) since the last Recent Average Credit recalculation.

d(t) = e^(-ln(2)*t / 604800*)
The Recent Average Credit for any Computer, Participant, or Team is calculated every time that Credit is added to that object.

Note: Also, the Recent Average Credit number is updated when Credit is granted after the Result has passed Validation, not when a Result is returned. This is true for all current Projects with the exception of Climateprediction.

*604,800 is the number of seconds in 7 days.
It's practically nerd nirvana!!

That's why it can take up to 2 or 3 weeks for your RAC to reach it's "true" level.

Well, this machine does science all night, and all day at work. The only time it's suspended is when I'm home surfing or gaming. It should take at least another week then I'd imagine. Thx for the reply Adak.

Back