• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When will we see PCIE and DDR2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For AMD DDR2 will only come like in Q2 or Q3 of 2k5 if not later, but PCIe is just around the corner with NF4. The only drawback to the A64 is that you'll need a new CPU and Motherboard for DDR2, not to mention the RAM itself.

So...if I wanted, a single opteron system with DDR2 and PCIE...I have to wait until this time next year...and I won't be buying this generation of Opteron?

Hmmm...I'm not sure what I want to do now. I've always had AMD cpu's.

eh I would say not to worry a whole lot about ddr2 yet, as of now its not really a whole lot faster than normal ddr, and even if they did have a platform that supported it now you would have to wait until next year for memory chips that really outperform ddr by a large enough margin to make it worth the extra cost

OK, so I can marginally wait for DDR2 to replace DDR, which should take a year or more...

Which AMD chip should I look at? I've read about Opterons and FX-64's and A64's...which would be the best for gaming and overall performance?

if moneys not an object.. fx-53, otherwise I would say go for a socket 939 3000-3400+ and oc the crap out of it :)

Really no reason to get an opteron now unless you want multiple processors

I hear that nforce 4 will be out soon, as in maybe before the end of 2004, that will support socket 939 and has pci express, but it will still use normal ddr

Back