• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where could I get dirt cheap server racks, rackmount servers, etc at?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bryce

I'm looking to start dabbling in this field and am looking for some server racks, rackmount servers, but I've got no money hardly. Where would you look for very cheap equipment like this?

Would you recommend going by old computer companies and seeing if they had old stuff ready to be gotten rid of or what?

I just don't have $500+ to spend on this right now :(

Check local recycling places. I got a place that will call me the SECOND they get a full 42u rack in.

Sounds like they want ~$80 for one.

I'll do that, but would recycling plants really have something like this though? And would they just give it to me or charge or what? $80 here and there adds up fast for someone who is only making $10/hr -_-.

I just wanna start getting into this area but to do that it seems I'll need a ton of cash :(

Yup, places like local colleges just haul them there and they either recycle the parts or part them out. This place gets "broken" laptops by the crate, grabs the good parts, makes working laptops and sells them. I'm sure you can find someplace that does that.

I hardly see anything related to servers on Craigslist here. Raleigh, NC sucks :(

How would going to local colleges who are getting rid of things and just telling them I'll haul it off for free for them?

Yeah I'd think Raleigh would be pretty good for that stuff so it's just a matter of hunting and calling around. You've got RTP, a number of large universities and large cities.

Thanks for those craigslist links. Just emailed a few of them.

We have a crapload of stuff here in Raleigh with all the companies around. Try ITXchange, they have decent prices on used equipment. I think they still have a bunch of Xseries 232 servers for like 15 bucks each but i don't think they have the rackmount rails for them. (native tower configuration)

I Don't know how you "dabble" with rackmount stuff though.

You're in Raleigh to? Never though I'd meet someone else in Raleigh lol.

I'll give ITXchange a go. When are they open?

Well, their inventory search is screwed up. I get error pages on everything. So I can't just show up at the warehouse and buy XD?

Back