• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you place your temp sensors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wega!

I'm starting on a major rebuild of my WC setup tomorrow, and a part of the new setup is placement of 3 temp sensors. I have one sensor measuring water temps, and I also need one outside the case, so I can do proper DT readings.

That leaves me with room for 2 more temp sensors in my fan controller, any good suggestions where to place those two? What temps do you measure yourself?

Ohh ohh! Measure ambient air into the rad, and heated air. That plus one measuring water temps should be fun for comparison wit Skinnees numbers. Last one your major case outlet.

Otherwise, me dunno, I just rely on CPU GPU temps under load, and call it a day.

I like to monitor ram temps, it's the only major component that is heat sensitive but doesn't have any overheat protection.

Conumdrum: Well the rad is going to stand on my desk outside the case, so ordinary ambient temps should do for Air into rad temps, right? Air temp on the rad out side was a good idea :)

m0r7if3r and Bobnova: Both very good ideas. How do you normally attach the sensor to the NB? Just stick it into the HS or do you put it between the HS and the chip? Same goes for the RAM?

As far as temp probes I have one for incoming ambient air temps, one for the air just before the rad, and one post rad.

I dont measure NB or Ram temps as its measuring the heat spreader temps (unless you take them off and stick it under) so outside of a delta from idle to load, its not remotely accurate in most cases.

I just tape it there with some scotch tape lol, but like ED said, it's just measuring the heatspreader temp, so take it to be relative. I wouldn't put it underneath the heatsink because I doubt thermal transfer through the probe is very efficient.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the NB and RAM's, thats why I asked the question :)
Earthdog: Is there a big difference between your ambient temps and the air just before the rad? Do you have your rad inside the case?

Also, I just noticed that the cord on my water temp senor isnt long enough to reach the rad outside the case. Is it ok to measure the water temp just before it goes into the CPU block (Rad out is connected directly to the CPU block inlet)? In my head the water temp should not change much, just running through 30Cm of hose from the rad out to the CPU block in, or am I wrong?

Yup, rad in side the case. The difference is only maybe 1-2C on idle and 2-3C on load. I have it there more for curiosity sake than anything relevant.

Is it ok to measure the water temp just before it goes into the CPU block (Rad out is connected directly to the CPU block inlet)? In my head the water temp should not change much, just running through 30Cm of hose from the rad out to the CPU block in, or am I wrong?
That's fine - no big difference at all ...

I stuff it in the end of the heat spreader till it bottoms out against a ram chip. It's a non-conductive probe so i don't have to worry about shorting things.

While it is measuring the heat spreader temp, it still gives me something to go on, if i see it hitting 70*c i know i'm in trouble :p

Ok, thanks for your input all :) My new parts should arrive soon, and I feel ready to assemble it all now. The temp sensor placing was the last thing that i was uncertain of.

Back