• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED where is my mosfets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drosera01

I am using Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 with Phenom II x2 555 (unlocked and OCed as Phenom II x4 B55 @3.8 GHz).
To the best i know this motherboard has max TDP of 140W and HWMonitor is showing upto 167 W. I know software TDP could be wrong but instead of taking risk.... I am thinking to buy aftermarket heatsinks for MOSFET and i found this on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011
Is this a good idea???
If so, can anyone help me what exactly we are refering as MOSFET on my motherboard??? Pointing the exact area where those heatsinks go would be great help. I dont even know what area or part of MB is MOSFET:confused:
Thanks

Here's where your's are. This is your board. Looks like you would need 20 sinks:

Attachments

• mosfets.JPG
    mosfets.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 72
Thanks trents,
I just opened the case and is running IBT on very High, that is shooting my socket temp upto 61-62 degree and i pushed my fingure all the way to those MOSFETS to touch..... its running just warm not hot... nothing really feel bad... I was able to keep my fingure touching for about 2 minute without any pain but it was just warm. It was just like dipping your fingure on warm water (not hot water) I think just a little warmer than hot water i use to take shower. I did poke my fingure in fact 3-4 times repeatedly to make sure.
Do you think i might still need those heatsinks?
while reading those 167W and a guy reporting burning his MB and CPU on your Zosma thread I was kinda oh well. i guess i need it but now......
After touching those MOSFETS, i have a feeling that i may rather save money. Your opinion please.
I wish i had those guns to check exact temp of MOSFETS.

If the mosfets are not painful to the touch, and it doesn't sound like they are, you should be okay without them.

I would be concerned, however, with those socket temps and you might consider rigging some kind of fan to blow on that area. Tower coolers tend to create dead spots in air circulation around the socket area as opposed to coolers that blow top down.

I would be concerned, however, with those socket temps and you might consider rigging some kind of fan to blow on that area. Tower coolers tend to create dead spots in air circulation around the socket area as opposed to coolers that blow top down.

I am really not much concerned about CPU or Socket temp, as i had tested quite a lot before unlocking...... SOcket temp is always about 8-10 degree more than CPU cores and IBT stresses CPU way more than Prime95.
On Prime95 2 hours test Socket temp hits upto 60-61. so, I am guessing that keeps CPU cores around 52-53 or at least below 55.
and I am running this CPU with 1600 memory seems stable. I had prime95 tested just 2 days ago, after chnging 1333 memory to 1600.and next thing I noticed is while stressing high, temp seems to be same at least in my case if the case side panel is open or closed.
thanks

Back