• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to buy Legitimate Windows 7 license keys?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope, didn't mean waste $80. Needs be, I can use the moneyback guarantee from http://softwareplaza.com. By shopping around, I was able to get the Blue Denim HDMI cables for less than half.

Right, because reputable companies that actually follow through on refunds:

1. Always use private domain registrations to hide their real contact info.
2. Have sites that have only existed for two months and were previously a Sedo offer page.
2b. And then subsequently claim to have been around since 1998.
3. Have sites with all the links in the footer directing to the same page, and Twitter/LinkedIn icons that don't actually go to Twitter or LinkedIn.
4. A new and nearly empty Facebook page.
5. A 43-second video on a YouTube channel.

I hope you used a credit card with a good chargeback policy.

Last edited:
Im not exactly sure but the ad popping up on the forum sidebar is just a persistent add. It does its dirty a little like a cookie and embeds items you have viewed or that are related into the pages you view. Targeted marketing. Gotta love it. Ever notice how something you search in amazon shows up in ads on your search results for the next couple weeks? and if it isnt what you searched for it will be the same things "other views purchased with...." I apologize if Im misunderstanding what you said and you already know all that :)

Your Corporate Overlords are Watching!

In case anyone wants to know, each key can be used 50 times before a new key must be bought.

That is, the key can only be used on one computer at a time, but can be activated 50 times as long as the MS tech support reps can verify it's legit and you can explain what the deal is. This is from the M$ tech support rep I was chatting with for my activation troubles.

I had to use the chat support on M$'s site and after I explained that I switched to AMD and lost my OS, they verified my key and gave me an activation code. I now have 43 activations left on my Win 7 x64 Ultimate key.

Just thought I'd put that out there for all. :)

As for the actual question, other than amazon I'm not sure where to buy one. Perhaps a local college might have one copy in their store?
IMHO, M$ stopped Win 7 too early. Win 8 sucks and they know it. Forcing people to switch to Win 8 because it's supported isn't right.

Bro, why don't you just call MS and tell them the story and see what they have to say bout' it. They might just give you a free key considering the OS is now been dated for some time.

Anything ever happen here? OP got a good key? Ripped off?

Nothing ever happened.

The person who called me asking for assistance with MS activation never called back, and they didn't leave a number for me to call them back.

They just called me once asking for assistance, and have never called me again since.

To make it more clear I wasn't actually the person that had the problem, it was someone else who contacted me wanting assistance (wanting a free license key from the way they explained it).

I bought a laptop from a friend with W7 ultimate on it. Used it for over a year with out a hitch then out of the blue I started getting popup messages telling me that my copy of windows is not genuine. While I have no reason to believe my friend used a pirated copy I cant ask him since I lost track of him due to a move.

Of course the COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop is almost completely rubbed away. (from carrying it around with out a case....) Since I cant read the entire code from the COA sticker M$ wont even listen to me.

Well aside from the annoying warning popups I have not lost any functionality and can still install updates fine?? At first I wondered if I got some new crazy virus.

m$ will still give you updates even if you're not genuine. Basically the only drawback that I have found d is that you can't set wallpaper and themes and you can't use tech support. It's not the biggest deal from a user standpoint as long as you can deal with those little problems. I still kite a genuine copy though. My copy did the same as yours after only a few months and I'm getting the same run around. That's why I was wondering where this thread went, because I'd like to have a legit install :)

You can set wallpaper, I know that for sure. And I believe you can set themes. My review OS is not genuine and I put wallpapers on for the reviews.

You can set wallpaper, I know that for sure. And I believe you can set themes. My review OS is not genuine and I put wallpapers on for the reviews.

Do they stick? IIRC they revert to black after a half an hour or so. When I was reading about what the consequences for a non genuine OS I remember thinking "So they're gonna annoy you to death until you buy the registered copy...." you should read that as.... They don't do anything that a poor guy like myself wouldn't put up with to save a few bucks, and nothing that compromises your system. Once again... IIRC. I've had a genuine OS for awhile now, just because I dont want the hassle

Well then folks I dare say, do your research and find out if you care about a non genuine system. To my knowledge what I said earlier is true but I don't have first hand experience with it. I did read that you could update a non genuine system, but maybe only critical updates or something... There's gotta be a reason to pay for it! :)

I can update it... but I don't pay attention to the kind of updates or where it stops or......

The only thing is the annoying pop up after booting (does not come back), and the writing in the bottom right hand corner.

Back