• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Benchmarks Predict Productivity and Professional Performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomBrooklyn

Which GPU benchmarks are most useful for predicting the performance of productivity software such as wordprocessors and spreadsheets; and for internet browsing--including video streaming? Or are those so uses so GPU un-intensive that benchmarking is irrellevant?

Which GPU benchmarks are most useful for predicting the performance of so-called "professional software," such as Computer Aided Design packages like Autocad, SolidWorks, Adobe Revit, Scia, and Chief Architect, etcetera?

Same question for photo-editing software such as Photo Mechanic, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, and Nik, Topaz, and similar photo-editing packages.

:comp:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all of the software you've listed is more CPU/memory intensive than GPU intensive. I'm not positive on the photo editing software though. I know that GIMP is way harder on my CPU than GPU, but I've never used Photoshop.

Office applications and such are very rarely GPU intensive.

Last time I checked, Revit was from Autodesk. :thup:

It seems there's some kind of benchmark suite for that (just did a lightning fast Google search, so I might be wrong :chair:) called AUbench 2011. Give that a try.

More than I wanted to know...

I am not writing in regards to a doctorate. Some of the links below do in fact go that far in studying benchmarking computer performance. I have for years suspected that benchmarking as I have been able to experience, has been little more than another form of game-playing with a computer available to me.

Suffice it to say that measuring computer performance so that a 'result' is relevant across multiple systems has at least two major points of interest:

1. A bigger problem than most can get their head around with ease.

2. A problem the answers to; can be big business.

If one has a real interest in understanding the measurement of computer performance testing, to rate one unit off against another unit, then the links below should give insight into the issues related to performance from system to system.

Link 1. >
Conventional Benchmarks as a Sample of the Performance Spectrum*
1. Benchmarking benchmarks

Link 2. >
Application-Specific
Benchmarking
A thesis presented
by
Xiaolan Zhang
to
The Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences
in partial fulfillment of the requirements