• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which board (chipset) to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidHard

Howdy allo, building a new rig for a buddy and need your friendly advice here.
I've done some reading but the info seems overloading. My brain's on overclock :bang head

The proc will be Sandy Bridge K or Ivy Bridge K.

Which chipset do we get? i.e. Z68, Z77, P67, H etc

The rig will be used for
- Overclocking fun to test how high / stable we can go (not seeking to break any records)
- Games like COD, L4D
- Typical user functions
- There will be a discrete card but prefer onboard graphics in event of discrete card failure / replacement
- SATA 3 as SSD in being planned
- USB 3

Which chipset do we get? i.e. Z68, Z77, P67, H etc

Thanks in advance!:attn:

**The following is added on to original post

Now to the 2nd part (hope to keep this to the same thread).

We'll go for a mid-budget board.
Right now, ASROCK or MSI as these have 3 year warranties.

Would this suffice for overclocking?

ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme4/

Again, not breaking records here, perhaps trying for a 5GHz ( if we are lucky with the proc). Cooling would be closed loop liguid cool.

Love the ASUS Extreme board but the price....sigh...

Or should we look at something else?

Last edited:
Z77 is what I would get. It doesnt cost much more, if any, than the older chipsets and has a couple of neat features you may use.

Vote for Z77 here too, and :welcome: to OCForums!

I also deleted your dupe thread in Gen Hardware :D

Now to the 2nd part (hope to keep this to the same thread).

We'll go for a mid-budget board.
Right now, ASROCK or MSI as these have 3 year warranties.

Would this suffice for overclocking?

ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme4/

Again, not breaking records here, perhaps trying for a 5GHz ( if we are lucky with the proc). Cooling would be closed loop liguid cool.

Love the ASUS Extreme board but the price....sigh...

Or should we look at something else?

You will likely not be able to hit 5Ghz with 3770k. Just too much heat in most cases. That said, 4.5Ghz+ is easily in the cards.

The Asrock Extreme4 seems to be a great bang for your buck board, but you cant go wrong with MSI either. We will be putting a review up of the z77 GD65 within a couple weeks.

There is an edit button on your posts to prevent triple posting.

You will likely not be able to hit 5Ghz with 3770k. Just too much heat in most cases. That said, 4.5Ghz+ is easily in the cards.

The Asrock Extreme4 seems to be a great bang for your buck board, but you cant go wrong with MSI either. We will be putting a review up of the z77 GD65 within a couple weeks.

There is an edit button on your posts to prevent triple posting.

Yes, what you said about Ivy. Hopefully Intel does something about that paste.
Im wondering if it reduces production costs that much by using paste instead of sticking to solder. If its really about cost, Im surprised Intel pulled this one. Its been a brand and company I've always held in high regards.

Looking forward to the review:thup:

Back