• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU cooler?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

somePcNoob

Thinking of building myself a pc for uni for gaming/3D modellling (engineering degree) and general work. Apparently over-clocking is the norm now and is pretty stable. I was just wondering which after market CPU cooler to get. This is my build:

CPU - Intel Core i5 i5-4690K CPU 3.5GHz Socket H3 LGA-1150
CPU Cooler - ???
Motherboard - ASRock Mod 1150 Z97 Extreme6 ATX Motherboard
GPU - Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
Case - Corsair Graphite Series 230T ATX Compact Mid Tower

These are the ones I am currently considering, are they compatible with my build? Are there better ones I could get for the money? What thermal paste should I use?

Noctua NH-L9i
Scythe SCMG-4000 - Mugen 4
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with a Scythe Glide Stream 1900RPM 120mm fan (top of the list so far)
Thermalright True Spirit 120 M BW Rev.A

Closed loop liquid coolers were suggested as they're apparently more efficient and put less pressure on the motherboard. Are they better than air coolers and if so which one(s) should I consider? Currently thinking about the Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet CPU Cooler maybe?

All advice greatly appreciated!

For minor overclocking, grab the Evo. For major, grab an AIO (closed loop) cooler that has 2x120mm worth of radiator.

AIOs will definitely put less stress on the mobo and can give you great results, but you can get the same results (often with less noise and less cost) out of a high end air cooler.

Noctua D15
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power

You also get to eliminate water from your build. I'm sure it's perfectly safe, it's just one more thing to worry about.

As mentioned, the 212 EVO will also get you to ~4.5Ghz with relative ease, it'll just be a bit noisier (but far cheaper).

AIOs will definitely put less stress on the mobo and can give you great results, but you can get the same results (often with less noise and less cost) out of a high end air cooler.

Noctua D15
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power

You also get to eliminate water from your build. I'm sure it's perfectly safe, it's just one more thing to worry about.

As mentioned, the 212 EVO will also get you to ~4.5Ghz with relative ease, it'll just be a bit noisier (but far cheaper).

I agree with this input.

Back