• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU for Asus A7N8X? (need it quick)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
So I finally modded my sisters Athlon XP 2400 on my old MSI K7T266 pro 2, and it works great.

But..

Now she needs a new CPU, and the problem is that the bartons are somewhat impossible to get here in the Netherlands. In first place, I want a XP2500+ barton (mp 11.0 = 3200+), but I think I already give up on that (or some of u has to know where I can get one from within one week, maybe in US?).

So now I'm looking at the Socket A sempron's. I know that they are faster than her old Athlon XP 2400 tbred, and almost as fast as the barton's, correct me if I'm wrong. Now the question is, will a socket A sempron work this ASUS A7N8X nForce 2 mobo?

If that won't work, I can get my hands on one last XP2500+ mobile, but the question is like with the sempron, will it work on this mobo? And it is running only at 133mhz fsb I heard, is it possible to run @ 166 like the normal 2500+ and even @ 200 x 11.0 so it runs at 3200 speeds?

Ok, that's it, I hope some of u have answers, because my siz will need the cpu within one week :D!

The sempron are here to replace the Duron, so what they did is take current tbreds and raise their pr rating to where it would match a celeron, it's not really faster then the Axp and would probably need a bios flash to show up as a sempron. With the mobile it is just a normal barton with the multies unlocked and both the multi and the fsb can be adjusted freely, will it work in her mobo I don't know but most likely it will, if it doesn't just put it in your nf7-s and give her you barton, the mobile would oc better anyway.

Woe, don't get a Socket A Sempron, they're more expensive + worse than T-bred B's. Their PR rating is used to compete with Celerons.

Mobile Bartons (2400+, 2500+ and 2600+) will work anywhere desktop Bartons work so visit the mobo's official web site to see if it supports desktop Bartons.

Click here to see why Socket A Semprons are NOT a good idea:

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

yeah, their PR rating compared to their frequency is way higher than on the tbred XP's. LMAO so the fastest sempron out there is actually a Athlon XP 2400+ (133 x 15)?

But I'm not sure if the mobile will work in her mobo. The guy at the store said he had tried one in some different mobo's and some did not work. So I wanna know if it will work in A7N8X.

Go to asus.com and find your MB and check the CPU compatibility list and check RAM compatibility to. Some MB's don't recognize the newer CPU's but do the latest BIOS flash update and they will. Huney.

well, on the asus website they don't list if the mobo will work with a mobile cpu. They do list the semprons however, they work from board revision 2.0, which my siz's got.

Oh I thought you were talking about the old MSI board,

The A7N8X is an nForce2, Bartons will work with this board and so will all Socket A CPUs.

Yeah, but I'm not sure about the mobiles, I heard things from people that sometimes a mobile won't work in a normal socket a desktop mobo. So I need to know if it will work specifically in this asus board.

BTW:

A socket A sempron 2800+ runs at 2.0 ghz, 333mhz fsb with 256kb cache.

A Athlon XP 2400+ runs at 2.0 ghz as well, but at only 266mhz fsb and 256kb cache as well.

So I can conclude that a sempron 2800+ is faster than a XP 2400+? How would it compare to other Athlon XP's, like the Bartons?

Mobile Bartons work in your board. What you may have read is that there are only three nForce2 mobos that post all multipliers: Abit, DFI and Soltek.

Others, like Asus post only the lower range multipliers 12.5 and lower. But they can post higher multis should you need them, with this mod:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=279392

But first of all, you're talking stock speeds. For overclocking, mobile Bartons are the best. If you can't get mobiles, then get a 2500+ Barton which can be easily overclocked to 3200+ speeds with your PC3200 RAM.

With your SLK 947u, T-Bred B's, Semprons and Bartons overclock to about 2.3 ghz average.

MHz Frequency = FSB x multiplier

2300 MHz = FSB x multiplier

With PC3200 RAM, you can set the FSB to 133, 166, even 200 FSB so it's only a question of getting the CPU that doesn't have a multiplier locked too high.

I'm using the mobile 2600+ on my Asus A7N8X deluxe. I'm pretty sure it will work on your non-deluxe also. (I seem to remember quite a few posts with people using them on their A7N8X non-deluxe. Just to a search)

Ok, so I can simply get a 2500 mobile for my siz with having to worry that it wouldnt work? I don't really plan on OCing, she's only got 333mhz memory, and a stock HSF. Maybe if I could get the mobile to run at 333 x 12.5 I would be happy, maybe at 400 x 11 later if I get some 400mhz memory for her.

Back