• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Driver to Install for this Crosshair VI HERO ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Sort of a noob question, but since ASUS Mobo Drivers are so confusing. I'm planning on getting the Crosshair VI HERO to replace my Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5.
Now I look at the Drivers section for the Crosshair VI Mobo Drivers. I notice some of the same Driver have multiple ones. Which should I even download ? Do I just download the latest and forget the rest ?

Like example, the USB.

Version 1.16.47.2
2017/06/02
Asmedia USB Driver

Version 1.16.38.1
Version 1.16.38.12017/02/28
Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.38.1 for Win7 64bit &Windows 10 64-bit.

Then there's the Chipset

Version 9.0.000.8
2017/06/14
AMD Chipset Driver
AMD Chipset Driver V9.0.000.8 for Windows 10 64-bit.(RS2)

Version 9.0.000.8
2017/03/09
AMD Chipset Driver V9.0.000.8 for Win7 64bit &Windows 10 64-bit.

For the Audio I would need both right ? If I want those " gaming mode " and the EQ to play around with ? For my Gigabyte board I would need both Realtek and Sound Blaster. Realtek itself will work but I wouldn't have the EQ feature and those " enhancing " features.

Another noob question, I never actually Flash BIOS before, my Gigabyte board was flashed by the Retailer I've asked them to do it for me. ( Which they did it in a risky way honestly, they used the Gigabyte App to do it instead of USB ) So If I wanted to use USB Drive to Flash my BIOS, I would need to format it into a FAT32 format right ? I know how to boot from USB Drive etc, but I'm uncertain about the format of the USB Drive I need to do the flashing since almost no one ever mention it online, till only recently I came across one guide telling me that I need to format it into FAT32.

For BIOS yes you need a flashdrive formatted to FAT32. Most of them already come that way. There's a utility in the ASUS BIOS under tools called EZ flash. That's what you want to use no need to boot from flashdrive. For the chipset I waould take the driver from here first to avoid the 1+ GB download http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 10 - 64
The page I just checked for the HERO only has one USB and audio driver download for Win10 64

Both? Usb has different controllers. You may need to install one for usb3.1 and its controller and another for other usb.. etc.

one says w10 the other has w7 support. Id install the one that just says 10 assuming you are running 10.

I dont think you need bith audio. The realtek suite has an eq. If you need other options, then install the other part.

Just try dumping the bios file on a usb and see if it finds it. If not, clearly you need to format. There isnt too much wrong with flashing the bios in windows really. Ez flash is what you would use...

Yeah I'm using Windows 10. The Chipset part is the most confusing one. Normally both Mobo site and AMD / Intel Chipet Drivers are the exact same right?
How do I even tell if I have the latest Chipset installed ?? Same goes for the rest of other Drivers ( LAN, Audio etc )

On my old PC I actually just installed them using the DVD lol.....so I think it's pretty outdated....but I've been using the PC for 5 Years now so far no issues even after doing a format and re-install Windows once before...

I'm a firm believer in " If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I'm a firm believer in " If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I'm curious though...what will happen if I don't install any of the Drivers at all besides the GPU Driver? Audio seems to run fine even without it. Not sure about USB 3.1 speed though Haven't try it, I think we will be restricted to 2.0 speed maybe ?

Windows 10 will install it's own "generic" drivers for mostly everything on the board. The video card drivers I would install.

I'm curious though...what will happen if I don't install any of the Drivers at all besides the GPU Driver? Audio seems to run fine even without it. Not sure about USB 3.1 speed though Haven't try it, I think we will be restricted to 2.0 speed maybe ?
Windows does it... as it has for many many generations.

To avoid any confusion, just install the following manually:

Chipset
Video card
Internet
Sound (if onboard)

D/l from Asus' site to get the latest for the board. Normally windows will install the "generic" drivers to get you started. You can then make the choice if you want the drivers from the mobo's site aside from the video card drivers. As E_D stated; windows has been doing this for ages.

For older name brand motherboards with popular chipsets, Windows 10 should have built-in drivers. And if there are no issues I would leave it there. Even if you install a different chipset driver from the board manufacturer's website, Windows 10 will likely kick it out and use it's own with the next round of updates from Microsoft. With newer motherboards you often have to install the LAN driver off the supplied disk and then Windows will look on the net for the other stuff and usually find what it needs.

With newer motherboards, I have rarely had to install NIC drivers. It has honestly been years since that has happened to me. When mobo's hit hte market, the NICs they use are already out there. Intel I219V, I211AT, Killer, Aquantia, etc.

Use the DVD and run the Autorun and let it install the drivers, it will pick the right driver from the DVD for your MB.

Back