• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Fortron.....They look to good:)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cornbread said:
Yes, why is that?
It puts a hellova strain on the PSU becuase it is effectivly doing double duty on the 12v+ (because it uses a wire splitter). On load strains on that could be enough to pop the PSU or damage the motherboard from voltage spikes

Sentential said:
It puts a hellova strain on the PSU becuase it is effectivly doing double duty on the 12v+ (because it uses a wire splitter).

Not really... the current load will be the same, it'll just have fewer wires to power it from. The strain will be more on the wires.

Sentential said:
It puts a hellova strain on the PSU becuase it is effectivly doing double duty on the 12v+ (because it uses a wire splitter). On load strains on that could be enough to pop the PSU or damage the motherboard from voltage spikes

I was curious because I had to use a 24-20 pin adapter with my Fortron/motherboard setup.

Well I emailed MSI to see what they think about all the adapter business. I just don't see why they would make a product which would, I guess you could say, almost always have a negative effect at the end :-/ But I will post back to see what they say. Thanks for the help guys.

PEACE

I'm told 24 to 20 is fine(no surprise) but 20 to 24 is "less than ideal". Whether that's because it doesn't properly power the PCI-E bus or just because it doesn't properly implement twin 12v rails or not I do not know. I do know I've seen several learned support reps expressing reservations about using 20pin to 24pin adaptors though they're never very specific as to exactly what the consequences will be long term. I assume it'd simply be reduced stability. I did notice that my usually robust 400w FSP 20pin unit was unable to handle my nF4 board with only a single 6600GT when I began overclocking botht he vid card & the CPU to max levels. I was not using an adaptor however, just leaving the additonal 4pins on the ATX header blank, though I did plug the remaining 3 power connections on the board.

Yes I'd think it be mainly for stability and just less of an overclock. But the system I am building has the big 530 watt fortron and everything set at stock. So with that said I'm just going to get the adapter and plan for the best :clap:

PEACE

Also still no word from MSI.

I thought about upgrading to a new psu w/ 24pins but I've been using an adapter with my system w/ zero issues and oc'g over 4ghz. I have not oc'd my gpu, I'm waiting for a new one to come to do that.

I thought about upgrading to a new psu w/ 24pins but I've been using an adapter with my system w/ zero issues and oc'g over 4ghz. I have not oc'd my gpu, I'm waiting for a new one to come to do that.

PROOF! Thanks man:)

PEACE

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Not really... the current load will be the same, it'll just have fewer wires to power it from. The strain will be more on the wires.

Agree .... just be sure not a to get a cheap adapter with 22ga wires.
Should be 18ga at least.

That is one the various issues with cheap generic PSU. The use of 22ga wires.

TimoneX said:
I'm told 24 to 20 is fine(no surprise) but 20 to 24 is "less than ideal". >>>>>>>>>>

Probably because the single yellow (+12v) wire is used to feed three
+12v pins on the header. Seems to me there is a a mod (or different adaptor)
that utilizes the 4pin to eliminate the weakness. If not would be very easy to perform
such a mod yourself.

Back