• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is a better Laptop between these two?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hi guys, I was wondering which of these two laptop you guys think is better for Gaming and Multimedia/Work.

ASUS ROG G750JM DS71 or Lenovo Y50

Thanks!

ASUS Laptop:
Core i7 4700HQ / 2.4 GHz
-
Windows 8.1 64-bit
-
12 GB RAM
-
1 TB HDD
-
DVD-Writer
-
17.3" 1920 x 1080 ( Full HD )
-
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
-
802.11ac

Lenovo Laptop:
Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
-
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64
-
Display
15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
-
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB
-
Memory
16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
-
Hard Drive
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
-
Optical Drive
None
-
Network Card
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Last edited:
Better for...........................what purpose?

Also, what is the exact hardware they have... Can't you configure the Lenovo at least?

It really depends on if you want a 17" laptop or a 15.6" laptop, or if you're going to max out 12GB ram. The Lenovo has more ram and a hybrid drive, the Asus has a larger screen and an optical drive. Since they aren't too different on the CPU side have and 860Ms with 1080p screens, they shouldn't be too different game wise.

I see true that, The Lenovo has 4GB Graphic Card while the ASUS has the 2GB version. Not sure if the Lenovo has SLi that makes the 4GB card or not.

I see true that, The Lenovo has 4GB Graphic Card while the ASUS has the 2GB version. Not sure if the Lenovo has SLi that makes the 4GB card or not.

Believe me, if it were SLI they'd be advertising the hell out of that feature. I see no need for 4GB of RAM on a medium powered mobile graphics chip. 2GB will be fine. You're not going to be running 16XAA/AF AFAIK with that level of power on mobile anyways.

I'd take the unit with the 16GB of RAM. At least it's in dual channel. The other one is running 1 8GB stick and 1 4GB stick. I don't like that. Why would you gimp the system a couple of % on purpose like that?... They did it to my lappy as well... I have 6GB.

I am going to order the lenovo which comes with 4GB Graphics, 16GB System Ram, 1T 5400rpm + 8GB SSD Hyride. etc... I think it will be better for me when moving around than a 17 inch screen one. Thanks!

Also it will be cheaper with 3 years Depot warranty. Which is cheaper than the ASUS laptop by itself without the 3 year warranty.

I vote lenovo, I love mine but it isn't a gaming rig - just a tried and true t510 that keeps kicking after quite a few years.

I think I may go with the ASUS ROG G750JM DS71 instead. After so man reviews on different models it seems that is the only one that has all I want with the exception of the larger screen which is okay.

My friend has that exact ASUS laptop, she loves it. That said, its pretty "massive" for a laptop.

Some things to note, being the same cost, I would get the ASUS for these reasons ->

1) larger screen size. I'm simply a fan of the larger screen sizes myself. Some may not like that.

2) the larger ASUS has better natural cooling. Heat on a laptop is its death. More space in between components would also help keep things reasonably cooler. I don't have data, but I know her laptop runs really really cool while gaming or anything.

3) the asus has 4x USB 3.0 slots. The y50 has 2 usb 3.0 and 1 usb 2.0

4) unless you're using an external monitor, you wont see a difference between the 2 and 4gb versions of the 860m's.

5) although it comes with 12gb, the asus is expandable to 32gb. The y50 is capped at the 16 you have. Not that you'd ever need 32gb on a laptop, but it does support a wider range of memory than the y50

both laptops would be great I think, but the ASUS definitely has more "bang for the buck" so to speak.

I see true. One thing I found on other models was issues with getting to hot or noise level. Also I lose one HDD bay which would be nice to drop an SSD 240GB and keep the 1TB as storage since it will be my desktop replacement for Work, School, and Multimedia. I will be getting Asus Universal Docking Station for work. But the Laptop will be traveling with me home, to school, work and into the field from time to time.

Nice system but I am on a budget so, that ASUS is as far as I can go price wise. XD

It should be noted that the 2GB 860M is a Maxwell GPU (newer) and the 4GB 860M is a Kepler GPU. The Maxwell GPU is a much better choice. It runs cooler and used less power. Both GPUs run about the same from a performance standpoint at stock settings. Once you start to overclock the differences are significant.

You made the right choice.

Back