• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is better- a long 20' DSL line or a long HDMI cord?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwalsh4902

My DSL outlet at my new place is across the living room from where I want to put a 4k television which will serve as a computer monitor and stream nfl games. Should I get a long phone line twenty feet or so and put the computer near the TV or keep the tower near the DSL outlet and run a long HDMI cord to the TV? I really don't have a clue, but I understand that a wired connection is faster than a wireless setup. Thanks in advance.

How long an HDMI cable are you talking about? I would research the effect of cable length on video signal quality and integrity. There is lots of information about it on the Internet. Google something like: "What is the maximum length of an HDMI cable?" You also may want to look at some kind of video hub/extender/amplifier that will allow you to use a longer cable.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a6751/how-to-extend-your-hdmi-cables/

Found this as well: https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide

Last edited:
How long an HDMI cable are you talking about? I would research the effect of cable length on video signal quality and integrity. There is lots of information about it on the Internet. Google something like: "What is the maximum length of an HDMI cable?" You also may want to look at some kind of video hub/extender/amplifier that will allow you to use a longer cable.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a6751/how-to-extend-your-hdmi-cables/

Found this as well: https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide

Since the options are run a 20ft phone cable between the jack and TV and put the PC there or keep the PC by the jack and run HDMI, I'm guessing it will also be 20ft, so in theory it should be fine.

Thanks for the help, guys. I've done some research based on your advice and decided to put the tv next to the internet connection where it comes out of the wall. My next question is my pinged download speed is 28Gbps, but the best hdmi cable I have found is only rated at 18Gbps. I'm trying to watch American football (nfl) on a 4k tv (which I haven't bought yet). The computer is a Lenovo PC Y900-341KB, I just bought. I'm not much of a gamer, mostly just want great nfl games and a movie once in a while. All help is greatly appreciated.

HDMI bandwidth has nothing to do with your internet bandwidth. The HDMI bandwidth is based on the HDMI ports on your laptop and TV. If there both HDMI 2.0 you get 18Gbps. Your network connection from the DSL modem will be RJ45 and 100 Mbs likely.

jw4902, do you live in the USA? Just wondered as here in the states when we say "football" it's take for granted we're talking about American football. I watch some college football (American) via ESPN 3 and the quality of the video varies dramatically from game to game and even from time to time during the same game. I have a pretty fast cable Internet connection (over 100 Mbps) and this is still the case. I think when you are streaming live sports broadcasts like that the quality of the video is affected by many variables that you have no control over. I think ESPN prioritizes what events their equipment and their servers give the most bandwidth to on any given game day. The video quality can be pretty raunchy, therefore, if lots of people are watching the same event and not much bandwidth has been allocated to it by ESPN. As the viewer load waxes and wains the video quality comes and goes. Not sure if this will work the same for you with NFL games.

Using a long DSL cable adds attenuation and will significantly harm your internet connection

hmmm except the cable that is in the wall is potentially multiple miles long. In rural environments it's common to have twisted pair copper that spans miles long. Even in the city many twisted pair coppers are still several hundred feet to a few thousand feet long. Cant imagine adding 20' onto what's already thousands of feet long is going to do anything.

HDMI bandwidth has nothing to do with your internet bandwidth. The HDMI bandwidth is based on the HDMI ports on your laptop and TV. If there both HDMI 2.0 you get 18Gbps. Your network connection from the DSL modem will be RJ45 and 100 Mbs likely.

Sorry, I have no idea what you just told me. My internet connection is 28 or 29 Gbps (measured by pinging) the ads for the hdmi cable say 18 Gbsp. How can they not have anything to do with each other. I'm not being argumentative, I just don't have a clue.

Yesterday, 11:43 PM
trents
jw4902, do you live in the USA? Just wondered as here in the states when we say "football" it's take for granted we're talking about American football. I watch some college football (American) via ESPN 3 and the quality of the video varies dramatically from game to game and even from time to time during the same game. I have a pretty fast cable Internet connection (over 100 Mbps) and this is still the case. I think when you are streaming live sports broadcasts like that the quality of the video is affected by many variables that you have no control over. I think ESPN prioritizes what events their equipment and their servers give the most bandwidth to on any given game day. The video quality can be pretty raunchy, therefore, if lots of people are watching the same event and not much bandwidth has been allocated to it by ESPN. As the viewer load waxes and wains the video quality comes and goes. Not sure if this will work the same for you with NFL games.

Yes, MO. I expect professional games have more cameras and better broadcasts as there's more money involved. I said American football because some of the experts here appear to be UK.

hmmm except the cable that is in the wall is potentially multiple miles long. In rural environments it's common to have twisted pair copper that spans miles long. Even in the city many twisted pair coppers are still several hundred feet to a few thousand feet long. Cant imagine adding 20' onto what's already thousands of feet long is going to do anything.
umm.. a specific signal level comes to your house, after that, its generally not amplified. What is going on outsode of your house isnt relevant to inside, really.

I run THIS cable. It's a 25' long HDMI cable for under $10.
It runs from my PC to my TV and works perfectly.

Let us know how this works, jw4902. A lot of my customers are using DSL and get <3Mbs downstream because of not being near a phone company substation. Distance is a killer with DSL but I don't think 20' will make any difference.

Sorry, I have no idea what you just told me. My internet connection is 28 or 29 Gbps (measured by pinging) the ads for the hdmi cable say 18 Gbsp. How can they not have anything to do with each other. I'm not being argumentative, I just don't have a clue.

It's cool. Your internet speed is Mbps not Gbps.

We all use the same cables and are all limited by HDMI cable bandwidth right now but for the most part its enough for what we can do especially with streaming. If your ports on your streaming device and TV are HDMI 2.0 you have enough bandwidth for 4K 60 fps Chroma (2.0a and 4K 60 fps HDR) and an internet connection of 25 Mbs or more you should be fine. I've only got only something like 22\23 Mbps and stream 4K HDR Dolby Vision just fine.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

The cable outside from the drop is normally 18-22awg and is shielded. Normal RJ cable is neither lol and no it’s normally not that long. Older lead pulp cables through a crossbox are maybe but not newer ones. Newer ones are maybe 5,000 feet at the most. We’d get customers all the time at the call center many moons ago with poor connections and attenuation off the charts; it made it easy to tell. So yes that length of cable and how the jacks are wired makes an enormous difference. You want the run from the jack and through to the Dmarc as short as physically possible.

Let us know how this works, jw4902. A lot of my customers are using DSL and get <3Mbs downstream because of not being near a phone company substation. Distance is a killer with DSL but I don't think 20' will make any difference.
DSLAM or VRAD very few are straight CO anymore most are fibered back through an 10gb/40gb remote, then to either a ISPOP or an IO and then through the CO or VHO

DSLAM= digital subscriber link analog multiplexer
VRAD = video ready access device
ISPOP = internet service point of presence
IO = intermediary office
CO = central office
VHO = video hub office

Last edited:
Back