• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these is better for benching?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MY instincts say the mushkins have greater potential, but I dont know much about those gskill sticks. Most 2d benches could care less about dual/single channel I usually run one stick as fast as it will go.

My thought, and I may be in the minority here, is just to buy some 2600+ sticks and call it a day. Saves time in playing with lower clocks to get up there IMO. Some like to tweak that stuff though. :)

I cant answer your question directly, but find out which IC's those have and look at Womack's thread.

Tridents will be BBSE and Mushkins probably lower binned PSC. Mushkin was using also better IC in lower clocked kits but I doubt that you make higher clock than on these Tridents.
I would test them on air first before you decide what to use for ss tests.

Mushkins are some mystery IC since they are 4gb Dimms.
Really big chance that they are not good. Either some sort of Hynix or samsung, possibly even something else.

The tridents will most likely be BBSE. For benching it is much better, but it is also a huge bit of luck to find a good set from the 9-9-9@2000 sticks.

BBSE is one of the two best IC's for benching on 1155 and you might want to check out the IB memory thread in the benching section (same thing for the most part as SB, except SB won't hit the same timings+high frequencies)

You can be right about mushkin kit. I didn't check it's the newer series for X79 so it can be almost only Hynix or Samsung and looking at higher binned kits there is higher chance for Hynix as 1866 and 2133 are also Hynix.
As I said best is to test them on more popular timings what will give better answer than looking on IC. Sometimes you get similar marked chips in all kits from 1600 to 2600 like Hynix BFR/CFR.
Still BBSE will be better for benching just matter of good voltage and cooling.

Thanks all. Insulated the z77 and used the GSkill. Mobo sees it as 1333? Only had time for a couple quick runs...will play more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back