• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one would you recommend? (Z87)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello guys,

Upgrading to 4770K soon (from Q9550) and I can't make up my mind on the motherboard. The choices I can get from my local store are these:
mobos.png

They're sorted by price so I'd rather get one from the middle or below :p. I was thinking about the Asus Gryphon, always been happy with asus in general, but I don't mind going MSI or Gigabyte.

Main thing that I'm looking for is long term stability, I'm looking for something that would last me at least 3 years. I'm a moderate overclocker, nothing extreme. The desktop will be mainly used for games and media. Also another thing to note, I'm not going to sli anytime soon, maybe in the future, but no budget for that at the mean time.

I would really appreciate some help here, I haven't been in the market for so long.

Thanks,

Last edited:
@EarthDog, I was just trying to avoid an extra tall post, anyways edited.

@Mjolnir, Here is the Link (Only X87 motherboards). The prices aren't that good in my country due to customs/taxes and being a third world country... we just have to deal with it, so forget about them really. And no GD-45 Gaming is not available, only GD-65 Gaming.

Thanks people!

Last edited:
Based purely on price, and what you get feature-wise. The MSI GD-65 Gaming is going to be the best one to grab there IMO. That'd definitely be my choice here.

UNLESS you want to go M-ATX case-wise; in which case I'd grab the Gigabyte Sniper M5.

UD3H or the Gyphon would be my choice if you can stomach the look. The reality is, any board on that list will be fine though. ;)

Are you carrying over some of your components from your current rig or are you purchasing all new parts? I ask as your listed RAM may not work on any given Z87 board.

@Robert, I'm getting new ram.. I'm only carrying over a gtx570, hdds/ssd and 610w gigabyte psu. (my signature needs to be updated)

I dont see the Maximus VI Formula.. I really like mine.

It all depends on what you are looking to use the rig for.

I see the Maximus VI Hero, which is a good gaming board, but i also see the Maximus VI extreme, which is hardcore area..

What is your purpose for this machine?

I dont see the Maximus VI Formula.. I really like mine.

It all depends on what you are looking to use the rig for.

I see the Maximus VI Hero, which is a good gaming board, but i also see the Maximus VI extreme, which is hardcore area..

What is your purpose for this machine?

He did specify the purpose in his first post... ;)

I missed it due to the long picture, my mistake.
Oh stop it... really? scroll people, scroll. :rofl: (I say that b/c the OP mentioned a long picture... I personally laughed a that and then see this which is why I am LOL).

The other problem with 3rd party hosts is the picture eventually goes away. While that doesn't matter too much in this thread, it does in a lot of others. Always host internally so ALL people can see it, and the picture stays. :)

Oh stop it... really? scroll people, scroll. :rofl: (I say that b/c the OP mentioned a long picture... I personally laughed a that and then see this which is why I am LOL).

The other problem with 3rd party hosts is the picture eventually goes away. While that doesn't matter too much in this thread, it does in a lot of others. Always host internally so ALL people can see it, and the picture stays. :)

I did scroll, i did... right past the important infomation :D

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and the laughs too :p

I think I'm liking the UD3H.. and this might sound silly but I like the fact that the motherboard have a 1x PCI slot.. I have a dvb pci card which I use pretty frequently.

I've been going with Asus all the way, I guess it's time for a change. I just hope Gigabyte provides same stability Asus provides.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and the laughs too :p

I think I'm liking the UD3H.. and this might sound silly but I like the fact that the motherboard have a 1x PCI slot.. I have a dvb pci card which I use pretty frequently.

I've been going with Asus all the way, I guess it's time for a change. I just hope Gigabyte provides same stability Asus provides.

We use Gigabyte in my office, no issues to report, and i was close to picking one for my Z87 build. I went rog, im not sad i did so, but the UD3H should be perfect for you.

Were I live, theres a website, with a contract with Gigabyte, where they offer one or two years extra warranty.

I wouldnt think twice about picking Gigabyte, in my case, they just didnt meet my anal wishes for a motherboard. But if the PCI slot is a selling point for you, then i highly doubt you'll regret making the Gigabyte UD3H your new motherboard.

According to this article the UD3H suffers from a high DPC latency for some reason. Bit disappointing, but I guess it's not a deal breaker.

Just sharing the information.

Thanks!

This line says it all to me though:
However in our testing we could not cause a real world impact from this, so some of this DPC latency "issue" can be taken with a grain of salt.

Back