• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which plug to use for my fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deed

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I've put in a fan on my computer and well, I kind of forgot the difference between the following plugs :shrug:

0366_MED.jpg

So, my fan doesn't have the smaller plug but it does have the two 4 pin molex plugs.

A black and red wire leading to one which then leads to the yellow black black red molex. Does it matter which one gets plugged in?

Also, is there a way to quiet it down? One of my computers was overheating so I put another exhaust fan in and it worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, the 4 pin molex is the only option for that computer and I was also wondering the best way to quiet the 7 year fan down as it's pretty loud full power.

And finally, would oil used for my vehicle work in oiling the fan? Does the sticker covering the plug need to be put back on after it is oiled?

-Thanks Everyone!

NO, that oil is way too heavy, you need a light oil like this

wahl.jpg
you can order from wahl.com

As for the wires on the fan go, all fans have red and black wires on them, the yellow wire from the power supply is 12V, also the molex will only go in 1 way, so you don't have to worry about connecting it right.
Oh and yes, put the sticker back on as to keep dust out :)

Get a small bottle of light weight oil. Sold at all hobby stores, home fix it stuff stores, even a Super Walmart etc. Thats all the sewing machine oil is. What was that little metal can called? 3 in One Oil? One of many.

$3-5 and enough for a lifetime of fans.

Back