• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Processor is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bigben look carefully at those scores sometimes lower is better, and when you compare the Phenom II x2 555BE to the AMD Athlon II X3 450 the Triple core wins handly (AMD Athlon II X3 450) winning in 29 of 38 catagories, think of it like this:

AMD Athlon II X3 450 = 29/38 76%(win to loss ratio)
Phenom II x2 555BE = 9/38 24%(win to loss ratio)

Clearly the triple core is better in almost every circumstance, for ten dollars more you get much less performance from the Phenom II x2 555BE. I understand black edition processors are an overclockers best friend, but I'm not planning on overclocking.
Its not the overclock, i know stock they are trading blows, though some of the x3's "wins" are pretty small (46 vs 48, or 166 vs 167)

Also you stated:
Yeah the links are finally fixed (little late when I made this post sorry about that), anyways yes I plan on using the system mostly for rts and fps games.
So i would only consider benchmarks that apply to your intended use, the 555 wins on Dawn of War and WOW, loses by a big margin on Dragon Age Origins, its a shame they don't have more game benchmarks in common for you to compare... but thats 2/3 GAMES the 55 wins and thats your inteded use, what good is a video encoding benchmark if you never video encode?!?!?

Its also that the 555 commonly unlocks 1 or 2 more cores making it much more powerful, so then instead of an athlon x3 you have a Phenom II x3 or x4, wich will be much much better, thats why i suggested it, you COULD OC it, but you stated clearly you didnt want to, thats fine, but it may also UNLOCK... if you are also not interested in that then thats your business and I respect it....
But if the 555 unlockes to a quad you essentially have a 955be which is NO comparison to the athlon x3, it destroys it!

But it is also not a guarantee, though I have yet to see someone who could not unlock at stock speeds... I'v also not done it myself.

I just wanted to throw out other options, if your happy with the A2 x3 great, but cmon, your on an OC forum of course we are gonna push you to go past stock OEM stuff ;)

Last edited:
Ahhhh, I see where your coming from now and that is a very valid point. I would love to see a starcraft2 and black ops bench on there as that is what I play.

I'm just glad you have options, and a solid understanding of what each ones pro's and con's are, now you have all the info to make an educated decision as to whats best for your purposes... best of luck with which ever you chose!

Back