• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which PSU (modular)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smigit

I've had my system a year now no problems but I'm not sure how good my crappy PSU is. I'm going to get a multimeter and test it because the MOBO sensor is saying the 12v line is olny delivering just under 11 (~10.8). I realise the sensor isnt the best to go by on but so I will check it first. Anyway if it is off I will be looking at replacingf the PSU, heck I might anyway.

I'd like a modular PSU. I realise they arent the best choice in terms of power ect but I wont be overclocking. My computer now is pretty standard, 1 hd, 1 vid card and an Athlon 64 but I'll probably get a PSU that I can use when I upgrade my system in a years time. Anyway I've narrowed it down to the following although I am willing to take suggestions

OCZ Neopower 520
Antec Truepower 550
Silverstone ST60F (600W)
Enermax Liberty 620 Watt

Anyway the Silverstone is my top pick atm, followed by the Enermax then the antec. I'd like oppinions but. Unfortunatly I dont appear to be able to get Sunbeam or Hiper PSU's in Australia so please dont recomend them, although I will take some recomendations if you have another one. And yes, I know modular isnt the best path always but I'd much prefer it and I dont overclock my systems so its not really an issue. I would like something that could run sli and an X2 in a years time though should I wish to take the PSU I get now to save me some money down the road.

Cheers

Last edited:
I've got the Ultra X-Connect and I'm rather happy with it. It's rock solid on the voltages and the cables are very well made. If looks are important it's also got those in spades. A year or so ago there was a roundup and the Ultra was knocked for it's warranty. At the time it was one year. Now it's 3 years out of the box and if you register it on their website they will upgrade it to a lifetime warranty at no charge.

They also have a newer line that have dual 12v rails are are designed with SLI and the like in mind. I'd probably give it some consideration too.

I've got the Ultra X-Connect and I'm rather happy with it. It's rock solid on the voltages and the cables are very well made. If looks are important it's also got those in spades. A year or so ago there was a roundup and the Ultra was knocked for it's warranty. At the time it was one year. Now it's 3 years out of the box and if you register it on their website they will upgrade it to a lifetime warranty at no charge.

They also have a newer line that have dual 12v rails are are designed with SLI and the like in mind. I'd probably give it some consideration too.
I've heard bad things about newer Ultras, as opposed to the older ones which were great. And yeah, their new Ultra X2 one looks alright too but it also isnt available in Australia so I cant get that one.

NEO HE (get the updated version if you're going with the Asus A8N series)
Enermax Liberty 500 or 620w.
Sintek 500/600w SLI

Those are my picks at the moment.

Thanks guys, geep the suggestions comming.

Also I guess an equally important question, is there any PSU on that list I should NOT consider for whatever reasons. I believe they are all from companies that come recomended to varying degrees, but if theres any in that list I should avoid due to it being greatly inferior it'd be good to know that too.

Also added links to the original post. Thanks guys.

Smigit said:
Thanks guys, geep the suggestions comming.

Also I guess an equally important question, is there any PSU on that list I should NOT consider for whatever reasons. I believe they are all from companies that come recomended to varying degrees, but if theres any in that list I should avoid due to it being greatly inferior it'd be good to know that too.

Also added links to the original post. Thanks guys.

I would avoid the Ultra's. I have heard nothing but bad things about them. Antec Neo's seem to be the way to go.

But, you should keep in mind that a non modular PS will be better that a modular PS with all things being equal. The extra connectors in the modular PS's do cause some degredation in performance for us OC'ers. Case in point is the OCZ Powerstream vs. the Modstream.

If I had it to do all over again I would get the PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI. It is not modular but it is a very good (If not the best) Power Supply.

orion25 said:
But, you should keep in mind that a non modular PS will be better that a modular PS with all things being equal. The extra connectors in the modular PS's do cause some degredation in performance for us OC'ers. Case in point is the OCZ Powerstream vs. the Modstream.

That's not a completely fair comparison. The internals are not the same. It's not because it is modular, that the performance differences are present. The Powerstream (420/520w) are based on better internal designs than the 600w Powerstream or the Modstreams.

The Ultra X-Connects are definitely not of the same quality as the Sintek/Enermax Liberty/Antec Neo HE's. Much lower. The X-Finity's are nice but not modular.

Know Nuttin said:
That's not a completely fair comparison. The internals are not the same. It's not because it is modular, that the performance differences are present. The Powerstream (420/520w) are based on better internal designs than the 600w Powerstream or the Modstreams.

The Ultra X-Connects are definitely not of the same quality as the Sintek/Enermax Liberty/Antec Neo HE's. Much lower. The X-Finity's are nice but not modular.

All things being the same, a hardwired PS will perform better than a modular PS. Could you at least grant me that? The fewer breaks you have in the power chain the better.

orion25 said:
All things being the same, a hardwired PS will perform better than a modular PS. Could you at least grant me that? The fewer breaks you have in the power chain the better.

That's true. I just thought that it isn't fair to compare the Modstream's to the Powerstreams and blaming modularity as being the reason for the differences in power output.

No I do understand that, but as I said I dont overclock. The biggest "mod" i have ever done was taking my x800 pro to an x800 xt pe and thats only because it was a softmod. So yeah, I understand this limitation but its certainly one I can live with based on my usage.

I do think the Liberty looks quite nice. It's a tad more expensive than the others but should do me quite nicely.

I am still yet to check my old PSU but so who knows. perhaps my current one will be fine for the next year.

Again thanks

Modular PSU's are not real great for OC'ing. Why limit yourself from OC'ing when you can get a better unit for a few dollars more, and not have to worry about it? Then when you are ready to OC, it will be there. There is only one modular unit made that I would recommend, and that is the Performance PC's modded PC P&C but you'll pay almost 300 dollars for it. Other than that, there just isn't any real quality units out there, and even if there were, they are not electrically sound. The extra plugs introduce more resistence into the system, and you give up efficiency.

A good PowerStream 520 is a much better unit than any modular PSU. There is really no need for a modular PSU anyway if all you are trying to do is hide wires. There are plenty of places to hide them in a case.

IMHO, why loose fuctionality when you can get much better units that are guaranteed OC'ers. :)

Yeah I know, but if I do overclock it wont be until my next machine, at which point if I deide I'd like to clock it then I will just get a different PSU. Its not a absolute requirement that the PSU be used in my next rig, and I will need something in this one when I pass it onto the family anyway. For the time being I'd just like to try modular so I can get a feel for it, if I dont like it then I wont use it in the future. I guess its a feature I just want for no real practical reason other than I wana give it a go. My computer isnt what I'd call a powerhouse anyway (3400+ s754, X800pro (modded to xtpe), 1 HD) so it shouldnt exactly be taxing any psu I throw at it currently (especially without overclocking it). The only reason I want something with 500W+ is so that I can possibly reuse the PSU if it will run in my next machine fine. If not I'll happily buy a new one when the time comes.

Besides, a few of the ones there dont have the motherboard power connections modular so they should get clean power to the CPU if I'm correct? Infact I think the silverstone is the only one with full modular connections. I really dont know alot about PSU's but so I duno. I know the output supplied to the other devices will suffer slightly, but shouldnt the Motherboards be fine?

edit: I havent ruled out just saving money and getting a 480W True Power either. It'll depend how I'm going. I dont REALLY wana replace this PSU unless its performing terribly bad.

I've yet to see a review saying that the Ultra X-Connect is a crap power supply. Rather the opposite if anything. Some of the older Ultra stuff was crap but they've been turning around a bit lately trying to remake their image.

I realize that almost everyone here is totally biased against them and will tell you that you would be an idiot to use one (*) but the fact is that I've yet to find any power supply that I would trade for this one.

(*) Of course, you can also find people who will tell you that you're an idiot if you go with AMD and others who will say you're an idiot for going with Intel. Ditto ATI and Nvidia. So I guess you can take that for what it's worth anyways.

Back