• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAMs to choose? (kind of a noob on the subject)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Vengeance kit seems best , 1.5V and cl8-8-8. Other kits maybe will make the same but here you are sure that it was tested. I have some problems with G.Skill in Poland too, can order almost only popular, cheap kits and all better only as special order/import and overpriced.

Okey, I'll settle for the vengeance kit. According to Corsair they're good for overclocking which is what i want to try (never done it before so I'm sure I'll be asking one or two more questions in these forums) hehe :)
Oh okey, real pity about the situation with G.Skill.
Thanks a bunch guys! You've been really helpfull, I'd be lost without you lols ^^
Cheers

Got a RAM question too guys

Thinkng about upgrading my stock corsair to the dominator GT kit 12Gbs

I guess my question is, with the mother board I have what difference does the speed make

1600; 1833; 2000 Which one should I get?

If my FSB operates at 1333 is there a benefit to running 2000 for the RAM.

Or is this just over kill and system wont be able to use this?

Note:

Trying my best to build this :comp: monster

Thanks all

I couldn't make 12GB stable on P6X58D-E above ~1600. Now my brother is using this board and 2x 6GB AData PSC kits that are working as 1600 cl8-8-8 ( tested 7-8-7 is working too ) but anything higher ends on bluescreen. I mean 6x2GB config.
Probably you can run 3x4GB 1866 kits but can be hard and look for certified kits.
At least in this case you won't see any difference changing from XMS to Dominator GT series except maybe better heatspreaders look.
For tests better get 6GB 2000+ kit and for everyday use like gaming etc don't waste money for 2nd almost the same 12GB kit.

Depends how much RAM are you using. Most games and other aplications won't use more than 4GB so 6GB is enough. The same for benching better take less but faster memory to get this 1-3% more speed in some tests but if you aren't benching and if you already have 12GB 1600 then just don't waste more money on memory and better get for example fast SSD for system.

Optimal RAM is about anything made with chips whose actual manufacturer's part number or logo is clearly legible, and actual chip manufacturers are Samsung, Hynix, Micron, Nanya, Inotera, ProMOS, Elpida, and PowerChip. Chips without such markings are always subprime, and no RAM module maker tests chips as strictly as the actual chip makers do. In the US, the only way to get modules with such chips is to buy Crucial or Samsung.

Back