• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Reservoir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Techjesse

Hey Water Cooling experts, I would like your opinion. I recently installed a water cooling setup on my CPU for best performance while overclocking to run benches (I'll run sub-zero later). I mounted a Photon 170 Tube Reservoir D5 Vario Pump combo on the back side of my CM HAF 932 in front of a fan to cool the water a bit, however I'd like to put every thing inside the case. Do you think this is a good Res? Monsoon Series Two Premium D5/MCP655 Dual Bay Reservoir.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ack_w_Black_Trim_M2-D5P-MB.html?tl=g30c97s152

Here is how I have my rig setup now.
IMG_2004_zps795e6b8d.jpg
IMG_2006_zps81abc3b7.jpg

I also have some red Primochill Advanced LRT tubing so I can use less tubing and maybe get better performance with the res closer to the cpu.
Thanks, TJ :D

Last edited:
Biggest thing is just finding a place for it to fit, its a fine res.

Its a res. They hold water. This is your choice TJ... they all 'work'. :)

The res being 'closer to the CPU' will not yield better temps. The res needs to be before the pump in the first place... Water 101 there. ;)

It's a res/pump combo :D
I was hoping for a bit more performance (lower temps) although I've lowered my temps 12-18c :clap:

I like this Water Cooling! It's a step down from sub-zero but a step up from those AIO's.
I might even WC my spare rig :) LOL
IMG_1962_zps63cec7e9.jpg

One thing about the XSPC D5 Vario Pump, I wanted to increase the flow speed on the pump as it was set at no. 2 and I turned it to no.4 carefully. The little Speed Control Knob broke :( I opened the cap on the bottom of the pump to see how bad it was broken and if I could fix it and it fell out, maybe glue it or order a new one. That's the only problem I've had with this setup.

The Monsoon Series Two Premium D5/MCP655 Dual Bay Reservoir is on its way. After I install everything inside the CM HAF 932 I'll post temps and a pic, Thanks

The Monsoon Series Two Premium D5/MCP655 Dual Bay Reservoir is here :)

Attachments

• Moon Res.jpg
    Moon Res.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 649
That's a sweet res. One of my favorites in the market. If they only made a dual DDC version I'd be all over it and possibly somehow install a built in temp probe + water proof display. :drool::drool::drool:

Thanks Jack :D I washed and rinsed the Monsoon res and pump combo.

Testing and watching the bubbles ;)

Now I have everything inside the case :D Temps are 1-2 less c :clap:

Attachments

• Cleaning the res and pump.jpg
    Cleaning the res and pump.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 578
  • Testing Res and Pump.jpg
    Testing Res and Pump.jpg
    828.6 KB · Views: 411
  • My Rig WC.jpg
    My Rig WC.jpg
    856 KB · Views: 383
Great res you grabbed, I actually moved from the Monsoon Series 2 to the Photon :p

Quality on that monsoon is damned good, far better than the other 2 bay resses Ive had from XSPC and Koolance. Glad you are liking it.

I have a Photon 170 Tube Reservoir D5 Vario Pump combo, but I wanted everything inside my case, if I want to cool my GPU's I'll need a new case. I've been looking at the Caselabs Merlin ST10, plenty of room. The Monsoon lowered my temps by 1-2 c :p

Yep, I have the 170 d5 combo res as well :) I think your issue was exhausting air directly at the res as for your 1 degree temp change :p

My monsoon I moved to another pc... But sadly due to a housefire it is one of many things that are no more :/

I definitely understand not wanting crap sticking out of your case, take a look at MountainMods. Their cases are fantastic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 383
Wow, nice Tech.

I would reconsider going with the ST10 because for $100+ less, you can go with a Corsair 900D. It seems they both hold the same amount of radiators. Just case design is different and case materials used. If you went with a more beefier Caselabs case which would cost more would I find reason to go with it. Nonetheless the ST10 is a great case but I just don't find the price range that justifiable personally.

Thanks Jack, After a long drive :D ST10 :D It's BIG! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'll be able to water cool GPU's too :cool: YEAH!

Attachments

• BIG ST10.jpg
    BIG ST10.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 501
Holy craps, you have your PC right next to your bed? You definately need to have larger room. :)

That's not my bed, lol. I'm RVing, that's my couch in one of the slides. Living in a RV and loving it!

Back