• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevvy

hi chaps got my new 8350 today, :) and my dark rock pro3 :). so now i need advice on thermal paste, i,ve been on the net today reading reviews and to be honest no one has given a clue what one is best, i know its down to pref, but as most of you are o/cers, then you would have a idea, i will heading into the ocing,so want the paste to deal with the extra heat, i have some coolermaster e2 gold. some antec formula 7 nano dimond, and zalmansuper thermal grease zmstg2, but dont putting upgrade of till i have the best one for the job. thanks in advance :)

I've recently taken a liking to Noctua's NT-H1.
Application is very nice, cleans off well, performs well.

It's not going to make a huge different what you use, from top to bottom you're only going to see around 4c difference between the best and worst TIM. If you really want the best of the best you can look at these articles #1, #2 and #3

I use Gelid GC Extreme. It came out among the top finishers in the 80-way test a few years back, and its consistency makes it easy to work with -- I just put a 6mm blob in the center of the IHS. It will spread out overnight. Your cooling will improve during that time, and stay even thereafter. SVC has it with free shipping. I just bought another 4 tubes that arrived this week.

IMPORTANT: remount your heatsink several times, to a) practice, and b) find the best-cooling mount. You can improve your cooling that way.

What has already been said.

The Skinnee Labs bar graph is deceptive in that it is only the last 7 degrees of a 75 degree chart.
I took the liberty of expanding the temperature graph to show the full temperature range from 0c. Maybe I should have used 20c instead of 0c, but that 4c variance doesn't look as significant as it does in original graph. ;)
TIM comparison skinneelabs.PNG

thankyou for all the responces, after reading lots and lots of reviews and test results i went for the Noctua nt-h1... i put a new cooler darkpro3 and my idle temp are down from 31c idle to 24c,i upgraded to a 8350 from a 8120 so 24c on a 8350 is good on air cooler. what do you chaps think, on heaven benchmark the highest temps got where 40c . setting on ultra :)

Heaven is a poor benchmark for cpu thermals as it does not use cpu much at all. Better off with prime95

i was only comparing them as it was the only as a baseline . did do prime but had a fatal, which is in another thread, thank you Janus 67 :)

Idle temps are meaningless on the Fx Cpu's. Kevvy. The temp sensors on these chips aren't accurate till around 40c when under load. Mine idles at 8c in a 22c room, which would be impossible when using ambient cooling, which I am.

oh ok, seems a bit pointless then, i m running prime and it says my cpu is bulldozer,its a but it is a vishera, cant get temps to 40.c,sitting at 39c. with prime running.

Back