• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which way to go

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

choliscott

Registered
Hi Everyone, I have 2 machines which I'm trying to decide if I want to do something with. The first has a AMD X4 640, which is a backup machine, media server & light internet usage (no graphic intense games)

The 2nd machine has AMD FX 6100, which has mild internet usage & mild "intense" gaming. This is the system my step son uses & he lately has shown interest on playing more graphic intense type games.

While at Fry's, I picked up an Sata 3 120 GB SSD & a I5 2400.

My thought was to put the I5 in the case, where the 6100 was in & then move the 6100 into the case where the 640 is.

The SSD would go into the gaming system.

My question, do I do what I mentioned above, or is the 6100 fast enough for games & just adding an SSD be enough of an upgrade, or should I do what I mentioned previously?

Thanks

I'd say a little of both are slowing you down. I never liked playing games on my stock 6100. But it plays games great at 4.4ghz and up.

Depending on the games that are being played id suggest a new card as well.

The games would probably be something like World of Warcraft, nothing too recent.

So just to have it play games decently, you had to OC it that much?

I'd say a little of both are slowing you down. I never liked playing games on my stock 6100. But it plays games great at 4.4ghz and up.

Depending on the games that are being played id suggest a new card as well.

@choliscott, you can see exactly what "bburrill2012 said in yellow. 4.4Ghz and ^UP^. No need to ask him, in seeming disbelief, if he really meant 4.4Ghz and up. He wrote it and I believe 'him' and his gaming likes.

@choliscott, you can see exactly what "bburrill2012 said in yellow. 4.4Ghz and ^UP^. No need to ask him, in seeming disbelief, if he really meant 4.4Ghz and up. He wrote it and I believe 'him' and his gaming likes.

Yes for BF3... But like jagged said, it should be enough to play wow.

No I believe him, I think I was just in shock that it would take that much of an OC just to play some of the more recent games.

So now I have a decision to make, do I keep the 6100 & go with that for a while, or do I just replace it with the 2400 now (I would need to get a cheap H77 board). I know probably the correct thing would probably be to wait until it's really needed, but I'm wondering if cpu prices are going to fall that much, where a board & cpu "combo" would be around the $150-$200 price point.

You could keep the 6100 for now and OC it a little. Say 4ghz, should be fine.

No need to really upgrade anything if it isnt needed. But if you already have a 2400, you could use that too and put the 6100 in the other pc like you mentioned.

If you do not have the cooling power, even 4ghz will be a far cry better then the default 3.3ghz.

The FX's are a little sluggish before 4ghz.

On another note, what kind of mainboard are you using?

I do have an H60 that I just recieved as part of a warranty exchange (I upgraded to the H80, while it was in transit), that I can install with Push/pull config, but I am hesitant to OC since the area it sits in, is really warm during the summer (I would say that the room temp, it between 65-70f, when it's around 80 outside).

However if the general census is that If I can get the 6100 to 4 ghz, that it should run games ok, that I might try to do that first & see If I can get it to 4ghz (a couple of years ago, I had a 1090t, but the most I could get from an OC was to 3.6 Ghz)

If you do not have the cooling power, even 4ghz will be a far cry better then the default 3.3ghz.

The FX's are a little sluggish before 4ghz.

On another note, what kind of mainboard are you using?

The phenom II x6's dont OC that much but i am shocked you could only get the 1090 ti 3.6. I took my 1100T to 4.2ghz and thats all I could squeeze. Temps were fine but I couldnt get it stable past that but i was a noob at OCing back then.

The 6100 will be super easy to hit 4ghz. I hit 4ghz on stock voltage stable with p95 for 12+hrs. But every chip is different, I dont see needing more than 1.3v to hit 4ghz. I would try for 4 first, then maybe try and hit 4.2 or 4.4. But I think the sweet spot without getting too hott or using to much vcore is 4.5-4.6 depending on how well your chip OC's.

65-70F ambient temps aren't bad. My ambients are 73-75F, but its usually 95-100 here in the summer.

I think an h80 will serve you well up to 4.5 - 4.6ghz, again just depends on how well your chip OC's. I would say mine is average. I've seen people use more vcore for 4.2-4.4 than I do at 4.6 and Ive seen people use a vcore at 4.6 that I need for 4.5. Only way to tell is to start OCing and let us know what you get.

The good thing about the 6100 is its 95W TDP and safe max operating temps are 71C (CPU temp as a whole, not core temps.. add 10-15C to core temps to get an idea of cpu temp.. After a certain OC my cpu temp doesnt read right, I've always had this problem, might be the software tho but it seems to read core temps pretty accurately even tho core temps are an guestimate reading)

I do have an H60 that I just recieved as part of a warranty exchange (I upgraded to the H80, while it was in transit), that I can install with Push/pull config, but I am hesitant to OC since the area it sits in, is really warm during the summer (I would say that the room temp, it between 65-70f, when it's around 80 outside).

65-70f room temp? I would kill for that.

I'm playing with 90-100f room temps in the day, and 70-80f at night (room temp)

You will be just fine, but you did avoid one of the questions. What is the mainboard?

Sorry about that.. The MB is a MSI 760GM-P21.

I have to assume you live in Arizona, if you have temps like that?

65-70f room temp? I would kill for that.

I'm playing with 90-100f room temps in the day, and 70-80f at night (room temp)

You will be just fine, but you did avoid one of the questions. What is the mainboard?

I was able to get to 4 ghz with a DDR 2 board, but when I switched it out for a DDR3 board, from that point I wasn't able to get it to 4 ghz, even If I gave it 1.5-1.6v (which I know is too high).

Based on your statement, I'll try to OC to 4 Ghz & see how that goes. The 1090t would goto BSOD within a few minutes if I tried running P95. If the cpu is decent to keep using, I would prefer to use that & just return the 2400 that I picked up

The H80 I have is on my main machine, so If I threw the WC it would the H60

The phenom II x6's dont OC that much but i am shocked you could only get the 1090 ti 3.6. I took my 1100T to 4.2ghz and thats all I could squeeze. Temps were fine but I couldnt get it stable past that but i was a noob at OCing back then.

The 6100 will be super easy to hit 4ghz. I hit 4ghz on stock voltage stable with p95 for 12+hrs. But every chip is different, I dont see needing more than 1.3v to hit 4ghz. I would try for 4 first, then maybe try and hit 4.2 or 4.4. But I think the sweet spot without getting too hott or using to much vcore is 4.5-4.6 depending on how well your chip OC's.

65-70F ambient temps aren't bad. My ambients are 73-75F, but its usually 95-100 here in the summer.

I think an h80 will serve you well up to 4.5 - 4.6ghz, again just depends on how well your chip OC's. I would say mine is average. I've seen people use more vcore for 4.2-4.4 than I do at 4.6 and Ive seen people use a vcore at 4.6 that I need for 4.5. Only way to tell is to start OCing and let us know what you get.

The good thing about the 6100 is its 95W TDP and safe max operating temps are 71C (CPU temp as a whole, not core temps.. add 10-15C to core temps to get an idea of cpu temp.. After a certain OC my cpu temp doesnt read right, I've always had this problem, might be the software tho but it seems to read core temps pretty accurately even tho core temps are an guestimate reading)

Do not try to OC on that MSI 760GM-P21. It is a 3+1 VRM board, uncooled, and has a maximum support for 95w

I assume that if I want to OC, that I would need to get a board that could handle a 120W cpu (i.e one of the 8 core FX models) or would it be something else that I would need to look at?

The MB that has the 640 is a Asus M5A78L-M LX. Would that work for OC ?

Do not try to OC on that MSI 760GM-P21. It is a 3+1 VRM board, uncooled, and has a maximum support for 95w

Last edited:
Ideally any board rated for 140w TDP. More VRM's are not always better, there are a few 4+1's out there that are very competent boards, but your average high end 890/990FX has 8+2.

Whats in the budget?

Back