• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who else is limited by there net connection??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slater3333uk

I was just wondering how many of you were folding on a 56k modem? and how many rigs are using that single connection to transfer their wu?

Thats my BIG problem with folding.

At home i only have a AOL 56k net connection and i find it very hard to keep eaven 2 rigs folding 24/7. If i had a connection that i could share across my network then i could have about 3 or 4 rigs going 24/7 but the connection makes it impossible to keep them all going 24/7. i have enough trouble trying to keep the one going.

It would be alright if i could d/l 10 wu. at once. Then i could just leave it on for a few days and when its finished i could connect and upload them all! At the mo they do about 1 wu. every 24hours and i just cant keep up.

To get them to d/l work i need to either let them connect when the wu. is finished or restart and let them connect but thats the easy bit. To get them to upload i have to connect when a wu is about to finish because it only trys to upload once if i miss it i have to wait fir the next one to finish.

Its very annoying and makes my production very erratic!!:mad:

My friends have the same problem aswell. They both have AOL BB. and if they could share the dam thing across a network then they would have another rig each. That would be a total of 8 top of the line farmed rigs for Slater3333uk! thats alot of wu going to waste because of dam AOL!

When i finish collage im going to get BB but that wont be untill june time. needless to say im not going to go with AOL.

Anyone else have the same problem?

If you're having problems with dialup, run two instances so you can go for longer periods between units. As far as your friends with AOL BB, they can connect through a router and connect multiple pc's. Personally, I never had problems when I was folding on dialup but I stayed connected basically 24/7 with occasional isp kicks and computer restarts.

How do you share aol across a network? because it uses a seperate program ect. and i thought it was impossible with aol (or at least very difficult) is there a way?

I would not have problems with 1 rig but with 3 it is very hard to keep them all going at once.

I have had the same trouble before and know how to fix it. All you need to do is go into the F@H configure settings and then networking then tell it to ASK before connecting. This will pop up a small box saying its ready to connect and you can get online then send in the results rather than hovering over the computer hoping you can get online when the work unit is finished :)

Gr8 that sounds like it would help a bit as i would not miss the wu finishing!

Can i do that using to oneclick install? cous i dont have the configure settings with that

any more usefull suggestions? i tryed the auto connect thing once but it did not work as the line was allways in use by another rig.

I'm guessing each router is different but basically you should be able to go into the router setup and tell it what kind of connection you have (cable/dsl), your username and password and it should be fine. I've only seen one router that had both phone and ethernet jacks though so a dialup router may be a little harder to come by. You may be right about it being impossible or very hard to use aol with a router, I've never used aol with a router so I don't know anything about it.

humm i will look into that OCn00b. i have been told that aol will only work over a proxy network? but il try and get hold of a router and give it a try.

I dont know too much about networking. only relly enough to connect all my pcs togeter using a hub or crossover cable.

oh yeah, might be more efficient to run 4 instances of F@H on each machine. Then you have to connect to the net less often. You can let them all finish before you connect.

edit: these all have to run from thier own directories and have the machine ID set from 0 to 3. Otherwise they screw each other up. run the config flag on the console to set it.

Ya know you could just have a PC with a 56k modem, and a few
nics and use internet connection shareing. That computer would just connect to AOL, and the software would decide what data goes to which PC just like a router. Look around for 'dial up netoworking'
Also, you might be able to just use 1 nic, have it going into a normal router and go from that router to the other PC's.

Yeh but its the aol software thats the problem.

I cant connect 2 computers to the same aol account at the sametime it just wont let you. i cant see how i could connect not using the aol software

like i said i have been told by a couple of people that it will work over a proxy network (i have no idea what the differance is). presumably aol only sees each network as one pc.but i dunno

The multi instances sounds like a good plan. i will have ago at that 2morrow.

no no, AOL would only be logged into once, then software would act like a router and send everything through the same machine on the same login. Only 1 computer would actually be logged into AOL, the others would appear to be on a LAN network. Anyone elce know how explain this better than me?

Back