• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who needs AS3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Fri

I asked this question before but it got lost deep inside my last post.

The question is. "Why does everyone say to use AS3?"

I read Joe's test results on thermal componds and based on his conclusion it looks like they're all about the same.

I have ranked the top four greases as equals - with a temp difference of less than 1 C between them, results are close enough so that users will find little difference between these products.

I wouldn't think AS3 makes that much difference. It seems to me that the data shows one thing yet people's emotions keep them with AS3.

Mr. Fri
:mad:

Your right they are all very close. I have been using Shin Etsu G751 for a couple of weeks now and after 2 applications I can say with confidence that is IS slightly better than ceramique and AS3. After the 4th day it is consistently 2C better.

AS3 is pretty easy to find too. Maybe I've just missed it, but I haven't seen newegg or googlegear or whatever selling shin etsu, or anything else other than generic stuff and arctic silver (all the different flavors). Maybe that's it, it's just popular :p.
Personally, I bought a lot of it awhile ago, so I'm going to keep using it until I run out.
Also, this should probably be in general cooling, you would probably get more respones there.

Quest for Speed: How do you know that you didnt mount you block a little better on the chip or with a little more pressure? All I am getting at is that there are a lot of variables when it comes to the CPU temp, and that statement could be a little misleading.

People recommend going with the AS3 because silver is very very thermally conductive, and it is proven that AS3 performs very well. I dont think that they would recommend AS3 over Cermaique or anything, but it is recommended over using the thermal pads that come with a lot of heatsinks or the thermal compound that come with them. It is most definatley proven to be better than that stuff.

i've read about shin etsu being slightly better, too but i agree with altec that sometimes, you just apply the TIM and seat the hsf just right to where it gives you much better results...after i lapped my hs, i actually got worse temps and reapplied/reseated 3X before i got the 1C drop...was it the lapping? was it the ceramique? i don't know but i ain't gonna F$%* with it for a while....

I used to use Arctic Silver 3 all the time, but the last time I ran out the store only had Artic Alumina in stock so I got that instead, and I can safely say there is little to no difference in temps going from Silver to Alumina, appart from the saving of £3....

but it is recommended over using the thermal pads that come with a lot of heatsinks

I agree with this. Thermal pads really do compromise performance.

the thermal compound that come with them. It is most definatley proven to be better than that stuff.

This is a misconception. The generic, unaffectionately deemed "white crap" that comes with heatsinks usually performs within a hair of AS3 or Ceramique. The application is all that matters in just about all situations.

However, in extreme cooling situations, Shin Etsu is known to be better. I'm not sure of this myself, but AS3 supposedly drastically loses its performance at temperatures below 0°C.

This probably should be moved to General Cooling.

altec said:
Quest for Speed: How do you know that you didnt mount you block a little better on the chip or with a little more pressure? All I am getting at is that there are a lot of variables when it comes to the CPU temp, and that statement could be a little misleading.

I have applied Shin Etsu 2 times and each application resulted in a 2C improvement over using Ceramique. It is true that you can get different results every time you mount the block. I have applied Ceramique at least 5 times to this board following the instructions and applying it using the same method as AS3 and never observed temps after a 4 day cure in as low as when using Shin Etsu. Maybe there are other variables in play here but my results are similar to other reported results on various forums.

Quest For Speed: You probably are correct, I was just trying to point out that there a lot of variables that come into play when it comes to temperatures. Hope you didnt take my comment as too aggressive or anything. :p

altec said:
Quest For Speed: You probably are correct, I was just trying to point out that there a lot of variables that come into play when it comes to temperatures. Hope you didnt take my comment as too aggressive or anything. :p

Your absolutely correct. There are so many variables that can affect temp results it is extremely difficult to reach a correct conclusion. I am doing more evaluating before coming to a conclusion.

Mr. Fri

to answer your question.

first, any thermal paste will work, AS!!! and Ceramic (both made/sold under the Arctic label) happen to be some of the best and readily available.

the reason one would use thermal paste is simple, it fills in minute voids and imperfections, thus allowing for much better heat transfer to the sink. not all cpu cores or heatsinks are absolutely flat, thermal paste helps compensate for the variances.

for the truely anal, and there a quite a few here, lapping makes for even BETTER contact and better heat transfer.

hopefully, this explains it a bit better for you.

baldy

:)

I like ASIII for the following reasons:

Highly effective thermal transfer (proven time and time again)
EASY application

I like Shin Etsu for the following reasons:

On the exact same T-bred AIUGA 1700+, temps were 2-3C cooler than with ASIII.

I dislike ASIII for the fact that it is electrically conductive. By mistake, when modding the cooling on my 9500Pro, I smeared the stuff all over the little resistors next to the core. I must have spent 30+ minutes cleaning every bit off.

I dislike Shin Etsu, cause it's so hard to apply! The stuff is literally like chalk. In order to apply it effectively, I had to dilute it with rubbing alcohol (which dries harmlessly). It was still hard to make a perfect application on such a small CPU die.

Overall IMO the trusted brands are all comparable.

Back