• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who the hell manufactured my video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P A U L

Registered
First off, don't judge me. I know my video card is ancient. But, hilariously, it plays Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade just fine.

OK so many years ago, I bought a GTX 690 on eBay. The sale said it was PNY.

...some misc problems arose and I'm trying to do some detective work and I ran into a curious problem...

--CPU-Z and GPU-Z both say the subvendor is EVGA
--Windows Device Manager's "Device instance path" shows VEN_10DE&DEV_1188&SUBSYS_26903842 which Google points to Gigabyte.
--The video card itself was refurbished and came with Arctic Accelero fans installed. There are no hints on the card itself what brand it is.

What the crap do I do? I need to track down BIOS firmware and I don't know my next step

:unsure:

Evga bios flashed on a Gigabyte card?

GTX 690... a dual GPU card still living and thriving... impressive! :)

No serial tags or model tags at all on the GPU? They could be under a backplate or heatsink potentially.

No serial tags or model tags at all on the GPU? They could be under a backplate or heatsink potentially.
Other than peel off the fans and look, I don't see any identifying numbers anywhere except the serial number and a barcode. The fan itself is aftermarket so it only says Arctic Accelero on it.

BUT!

Evga bios flashed on a Gigabyte card?

GTX 690... a dual GPU card still living and thriving... impressive! :)
It appears I did put an EVGA Bios on there before which led to the "misc problems" I was experiencing. I managed to force flash rollback an apparent Gigabyte version of the bios (downloaded from techpowerup) ...which disabled the card's UEFI compatibility.

Then I downloaded the BIOS files from Gigabyte's own website and ran it....it all went through fine... but the firmware number didn't change. However, it did allow me to re-enable UEFI boot up.

GPU-Z now says the subvendor is......Nvidia? I expected it to say Gigabyte. :unsure:

I think I'll go break something else while I wait to reproduce the "misc problem" overnight.

Last edited:
Was Foxconn the actual builder of the Nvidia Reference cards at that time

Try checking PCB dimensions, PNY usually uses Nvidia FE and Gigabyte is usually custom 😋

Back