• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHS 2011 Build Pics and Critique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agpatel

Registered
This is my Corsair 600T WHS 2011 Build.

This is my first computer build in MANY years, last one was in middle school (now 24 yrs old). Many things have changed sense then ha, this is also my fist desktop I have owned in many many years as well as I have had laptops for many years. This is a Windows Home Server 2011 build for my apartment to keep all my data centralized, keep backups current, and able to access my data from anywhere if needed. I was going to go with a simple nas box but decided to try this out.

I am new to the forums here and have asked many questions and gotten prompt reply so thanks for that, and in tern have learned much.

Specs:

Case: Corsair 600T
CPU: Intel i3-2105
MoBo: Asus P8H67-M Pro
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: Corsair CX600
RAM: G.Skill Rip Jaws 8 GB
Optical: Asus DVD-RW
NIC: Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter - PCI-E
LCD Screen: Matrix Orbital GLK19264
HDD:
System - WS Black 640 GB 7200 RPM
Storage - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB (2x, Windows Mirrored)
Fans:
Intake:
Front 200mm (Corsair Stock, newer 1000rpm option)
Front 80mm Noctua thru Antec HDD Cooler (No disks in cooler)
Exhaust:
200mm (Corsair Stock, newer 1000 rpm option)
Rear Enermax Magma 120mm
Internal:
Corsair 120 mm cooling HDDs

Waiting on my internal USB cable for the lcd screen but for now this works.

Some pics of the setup, any comments on any improvements that can be made or comments would be appreciated. Cooling seems to be good, CPU is idling around 26-27C and can go down to 24C depending on room temp, at Prime95 load it will go up to around 40C. HDDs are staying at around 27-30C with at load temps around a degree or two higher. Using a IR temperature meter the south-bridge (H67 chipset) is around 105-110F at idle, does this seem right?

DSC00079.JPG

DSC00076.JPG

DSC00078.JPG

DSC00080.JPG

DSC00082.JPG

DSC00083.JPG

DSC00085.JPG

DSC00084.JPG

DSC00086.JPG

Little overkill for a server, sure, but it will be used for media streaming to my PS3 and will be doing good amount of transcoading and thus the newer i3-2105 which has the Intel HD 3000 graphics vs the i3-2100 which has the 2000 version and for $10 more might as well.

That's a very cool build I like what you did with the extra fan in there. What is that part that you used?

I think you have the most overkill HSF on the most low end CPU for that HSF I've ever seen :).

Looks great, only critique is: clean up them wires! No cable management excuses with the 600t :)

That's a very cool build I like what you did with the extra fan in there. What is that part that you used?

I think you have the most overkill HSF on the most low end CPU for that HSF I've ever seen :).

If you are talking about the front 80mm Noctua it is mounted in a Antec 2 bay/3 drive cooler, just replaced the stock fan. Does not really draw too much air but but got a few 80mm Noctua fans for $7/ea so I thought might as well use it.

Yeah the HSF is overkill but got it off a friend of mine who upgraded his cooler from this to water cooling for his i7.

Looks great, only critique is: clean up them wires! No cable management excuses with the 600t :)

Not the best, need to figure how how to clean up the wires at the bottom of the case a bit..

True. You could run those CPU fan cables out the holes at the top and run them into 12V via molex adapters maybe. Like so :).

Will do that this weekend and try and figure out how to clean up the sata cables and my esta card cables up a bit.

Just stuff them behind your motherboard tray, there is plenty room behind there. ;)

They are all stuffed behind there, just have the 3x sata from the HD coming out the grommet close to the SATA ports as well as the DVD rom sata cable. The 2x other sata cables as you can see are coming from the eSATA expansion port i have in the back and no way to get those behind the mobo tray. Do not want to bend the sata cables to a sharp end so may look into some 90* side cables if i can find anything that may work. Cooler power cables i will route so you can not see them from the windows...

Header calbles i tried to run the best i could, keeping as much of the cable behind the tray as possible.

Back