• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are their huge price differences between memory with basically the same specs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eggtrade

Registered
Why are their huge price differences between memory with basically the same specs?

It's always baffled me as to why different memory modules which appear to have pretty much identical specification's, can vary so ridiculousley in price between different brands/models.

E.G-

-GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)
- PC6400 800MHz CAS 4-4-4-12
- 64x8 DDR2 BGA Chips
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- Aluminum Heat-spreader
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB
- Lifetime Warranty
- 1.9V-2.3V Power Supply

£37.59 inc VAT

-G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400C4 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ)
- Package : 2048MB kit (2x1GB) dual channel pack
- CAS Latency : 4-4-4-12 (PC2-6400)
- Test Voltage : 2.0-2.2 V
- Speed : DDR2 800MHz (PC2-6400)
- Type : 240-pin DDR2
- Error Checking : Non-ECC
- Registered/Unbuffered : Unbuffered
- Quality Control : Comprehensive rigorously tested in pair at dual channel environment
- Warranty : Lifetime

£93.99 inc VAT

Prices from following link:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=8&subid=813

I'm not sure that's actually the best example as I think one uses Micron D9 chips and the other doesn't, but you get the gist. There are MANY other example's out there.

So why is this?- it seems ridiculous to me that the prices can vary by up to increase of 300% for same/very similar spec. mem. modules for what i'm guessing might only be 1 or 2% performance increases.

Am I way off the mark here? Are the performance increases actually noticable? Or do some people just have cash to burn? :confused:

It's always baffled me as to why different memory modules which appear to have pretty much identical specification's, can vary so ridiculousley in price between different brands/models.

E.G-

-GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)
- PC6400 800MHz CAS 4-4-4-12
- 64x8 DDR2 BGA Chips
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- Aluminum Heat-spreader
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB
- Lifetime Warranty
- 1.9V-2.3V Power Supply

£37.59 inc VAT

-G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400C4 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ)
- Package : 2048MB kit (2x1GB) dual channel pack
- CAS Latency : 4-4-4-12 (PC2-6400)
- Test Voltage : 2.0-2.2 V
- Speed : DDR2 800MHz (PC2-6400)
- Type : 240-pin DDR2
- Error Checking : Non-ECC
- Registered/Unbuffered : Unbuffered
- Quality Control : Comprehensive rigorously tested in pair at dual channel environment
- Warranty : Lifetime

£93.99 inc VAT

Prices from following link:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=8&subid=813

I'm not sure that's actually the best example as I think one uses Micron D9 chips and the other doesn't, but you get the gist. There are MANY other example's out there.

So why is this?- it seems ridiculous to me that the prices can vary by up to increase of 300% for same/very similar spec. mem. modules for what i'm guessing might only be 1 or 2% performance increases.

Am I way off the mark here? Are the performance increases actually noticable? Or do some people just have cash to burn? :confused:

I have the geil in my spare system and tbh it doesnt overclock at all, not sure if that just me with dogey memory, im guessing you would be hitting muich higher speeds using the Gskill and overcloking meaning that the chips being used are probly better quality.

G.Skill just seems to have some higher prices right now. Plus, those Giel do not have D9GMH ICs. What you want is the Crucial Ballistix. ;)

but the gskill 6400-hz's have d9gmh. imo gskill does much better with rma's then micron. i had to rma a set and they got it on the 20th last month. which was a thrusday,no email no thing, but on that next monday after work i had a new set of ram. set via fedex 2day to my door.

Keep in mind that memory more than any other computer component has voltatile pricing. The prices of bulk ICs from the maker to a memory maker (ie Micron selling to Corsair) can change more than once in a week. This affects the wholesale and therefore the retail pricing. So, when a retailer brings memory in at a certain price, they are going to sell of that lot based on their purchase cost. If they get a second lot of memory in while the still have the first lot in stock, they are not likely to make a significant price change until the original lot is gone.

Also, some retailers do not want to have OUT OF STOCK showing on their websites. So, if a memory kit gets very low in stock, sometimes they will put an astronomical price on it until they restock them as opposed to being totally out of that item. I have no idea why they think this is a good idea. A memory kit tripling in price mysteriously for a few days makes no sense to me.

So what you are all basically saying is there is very little differnece in specs. apart from quality, and obviousley whether it's D9 or not?

Yeh I am definateley getting the ballistix especially as you can get

2gb Crucial Ballistix pc-8500 for £75 OR
2gb Crucial Ballistix pc-6400 for £55

One of those will do me niceley! :bday:

Last edited:
Also, some retailers do not want to have OUT OF STOCK showing on their websites. So, if a memory kit gets very low in stock, sometimes they will put an astronomical price on it until they restock them as opposed to being totally out of that item. I have no idea why they think this is a good idea. A memory kit tripling in price mysteriously for a few days makes no sense to me.

This might not make sense to you but I am building a new computer, have loads of money, and what that specific memory right now and am not willing to wait till it comes down in price. I just paid the $64 some odd dollars to get that rather then go for the cheaper stuff. Thus the retailer just made that much more profit. Makes sense to the retailer. Either wya they are going to make the sale. Either you have to money for that product and want it now or you are going to get the next best thing that is cheaper. They made the sale and are happy either way. And America is filled with millions of people. Chances are there are at least a few percent that are more then willing to drop the cash for it.

You might be right- seems to go against all the basic principles of business though, as far as I can see!

You might be right- seems to go against all the basic principles of business though, as far as I can see!

Yup, it does. But most principles of business are still rather archaic and modeled around brick and mortar business where your clients are local people within so many miles. The beauty of a an online retailer is you can choose how far you do business. Ex- either within state, country or around the world. When you sell openly and easily through the entire country it opens your market up ten fold which brings in a greater chance someone will buy your product whether they be desperate, mis informed, they like you, or whatever the reason may be. Whn you have that wide of a business base and you are something very well established like New Egg it kinda blows a normal business model out of the water because of the shear amount of people you are able to sell too.

I used to work for an online retailer that was very well known and respected for the industry it was in. The web site was very amateur and still may be but the business was known to be one of the best and there for opened it self to the entire market within the industry by selling online. There were other competitors with nicer looking websites and slightly cheaper but we were well known and had the ability to sell world wide through small shipments and freight so we sold a lot regardless of the price fluctuations.

Well, I have seen memory retailing for approximately $125 and then suddenly it is $360. That's what I meant by astronomical.

Back