• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are UMPC so expensive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Up to you, but the price is because of the size, and I find the form factor to be quite a bit more convenient than a laptop in many situations.

They are priced high for several reasons. One, it costs more to fit everything in that form factor. Two, a lot of the buyers are businesses with larger budgets. Three, consumers will pay the price for the "cool" factor. If they weren't selling they wouldn't keep making them.

They are priced high for several reasons. One, it costs more to fit everything in that form factor. Two, a lot of the buyers are businesses with larger budgets. Three, consumers will pay the price for the "cool" factor. If they weren't selling they wouldn't keep making them.

Basically, it's just a niche market. You can ask the same question of why a Ferrari is so overpriced over a Honda given that they're basically made of the same kind of "stuff", or why a Rolex is so much more expensive than say, a Seiko. The reason is they both occupy entirely different economic markets.

But, as with all things computing, I'm sure the price will quickly drop in the years to come.

Basically, it's just a niche market. You can ask the same question of why a Ferrari is so overpriced over a Honda given that they're basically made of the same kind of "stuff", or why a Rolex is so much more expensive than say, a Seiko. The reason is they both occupy entirely different economic markets.

But, as with all things computing, I'm sure the price will quickly drop in the years to come.

Thats a bit of a reach to try to compare Ferrari's vs. Hondas to UMPC to anything...

But the premise is somewhat true I guess.

Ill just keep my typical one to two gens back and get them for a decent price

They're somewhat new; new stuff costs $$ to make (PS3). They're popular. Until theres a stable market with defined competition, manufacturers can name the price of the market, instead of the market naming the price itself.

Back