• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Did Prices Go Up?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got 2 256 MB modules of Crucial Reg DDR sitting in a drawer not even being used now, cost me $70 back in October. Probably a good investment now that I can sell it for more than I paid for it.

i'M KICKING MYSELF IN THE REAR FOR PROCATINATING. Ops sorry for caps.. Anyway I bought 2 256 mb pc2100 from crucial before the prices went up. I had no idea they were going to skyrocket so high. So I seent hat prices had jumped up$10 from just a few days from which I last checked it. I was rather ****ed as I needed another stick. I thought well I wait tilt he first of the year when people are thinking prices will settle down and start dropping a little, though not as low as they had been previously. Few weeks later I'm MAN I should have choked on the $10 and bought it anyway cuz now it's gonna cost me more for one stick than it cost me for my previous 2 together.

If you need RAM or THINK you DO....you got the cash? BUY NOW...I ahve a feeling they are wanting the prices to remain where they are if not higher. I remember paying $70 for 64mb pc100 sdram not too terribly long ago. I refuse to believe they aren't making a profit of their ram at this point.

No they will not come down. Maybe at the end of this year or in longer distance. I have lost the links where I got the information. Buy it now, buy your ram now if you need it, otherwise you WILL pay more in close future. The prices will continue the rising. At 2001 most high tech companies where in minust, it is time for them to start getting payed. As the prices were so slow it was mostly done by amd with several marketing trick if you want call it this way. It was usefull for amd to sell its processors and gain some more market share against intel. It was deamn wise from amd. They payd lot of money to hold prices down as intel didn't support ddr. Now intel is going to support ddr, of course the demand is much higher now, this also means lot. Buy it know.

I can tell you exactly whats going on ! One of the OPEC guy was in the mens room using the urinal next to one of the RAM guys and they traded business practice stories. AKA " screw em where else are they going to get it "

Billy

I hear that Samsung stoped making RAM so everyone else pushed thier prices up - less competition.

As high as RAM has gotten, look back about two years ago;

70 pin SIMMs FPM 32MB = +/- $100

It's still hard to take a 100% increase in three months.

This winter ,NEC shut down a memory plant to stem the flow of cash. Toshiba, gave up and sold its plants to micron..looks to me like prices are rising because of less competition and high demand....

i think maximumpc said that toshiba sold their ram factories to micron (crucial) and that samsung got out of the business---decrease in supply (or competition) = increase in cost
it will go down when demand does, so get it before it gets higher

PRICES JUST CREEPED UPWARDS AGAIN!!!

Last week kingston memory (512mb ddr) at gogocity.com was only $135...

Now its $145...

If you guys are right about the memory never coming back down (or won't come back down for a significant amount of time) to the prices in October then I'll just buy now.

This SUX0RS
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I heard micron started the whole thing,right before christmas too,hmmm.Count me as one of the one's who got screwed seeing how I picked this time too upgrade too a DDR board.:mad:

Should be better by summer,(unless Gates is behind the whole thing:eek: ).I betcha Billys a grinch too.

what do you need your memory for? if u want to know when prices will be back down try a minimum of 6 months but that takes us to summer so it'll be at least 9 months, providing they dont change the standard by then. i think the prices have gone up cos people have decided to upgrade from sdr to ddr people tend to wait a ~year especially as new mobos are needed to take advantage of ddr. i agree with comments from others about amds market share and all that too. also memory prices fluctuate anyway and were bound to go up, anyone that didnt buy whilst they were cheap is a bit daft, prices will fall when people start to undercut each other and another price war starts, but first they need profits, so fools buy now! buy buy buy, smart pepes wait if u can.

well i cant exactly put off my new system for 9 months seeing as i already bought my mobo, vid card, and case...and i dont want to buy a puny stick of 128 to last me that long...so i guess ill buy now... and give in to capitalism!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Here is what I have heard happened -- Micron was trying to put other manufacturers out of buisness as to be able to purchase these competator's manufacturing facilities.

It is long obvious that Micron was leading the price drop in DDR memory prices, forcing other companies to follow in it's path. This is common practice in buisness techniques, I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME!!!... anyways, once Micron saw that one company in particular, Hyinx (sp?), was doing poorly, they decided to discuss purchasing their plant. I hear they were talking with Samsung also.

Now my only question, is, out here in Utah, they built a HUGE production facility a few years back, and they still haven't finished it. Now, why would they go around purchasing other companies, while they have unfinished facilities just laying around? Perhaps they will finish it?

Anyways, so now that they put a couple of smaller companies in the hole, they decide their profits suck as well, therefore, lets bring up the price, and WHAMMO, there is John Doe forking out like friggin $80 for 256M DDR ram.

My real question here is, are the chips made in these foreign production facilities going to be as high quality as the current chips they are manufacturing?

I think that Dodge is stealing all of the RAM to put in thier new trucks.So that makes the price go up from shortage of ram (cause it takes alot of RAM to make a truck)

Back