• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do these things only happen to me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

On 12/7/11 I ordered four Cougar 140mm fans from Newegg.

Came out to $97.64 total because of $8.27 Tax and $9.41 S/H.

Fans shipped from Memphis, to Memphis on 12/7/11

UPS made a delivery attempt on 12/8/11 and again on 12/9/11.

After the second attempt, they shipped them back to Newegg, in California. (because that's the location of Newegg's RMA Warehouse)

I contacted UPS via the 1-800 number and spoke to Bessie, who admitted UPS messed up.

I then fired off an email to UPS Corporate that was nicely-worded, but firm, in my request that someone invesitgate why the lcoal UPS facility deviated from two established company policies:

1 -- 3 Delivery Attempts for pkgs with Adunt Signature Required
2 -- Hold Package for 5 days before shipping back to shipper for pkgs with Adunt Signature Required

Lisa, from the local UPS Facility called me back and said she'd investigate what happened, and then Jean, from UPS Corporate, also called me and stated she'd initiate a formal complaint from their end and keep me informed as to why those two company policies were ignored.

Additionally, I contacted Newegg via chat to let them know what happened so they wouldn't receive a box of fans and ask themselves "WTF?!?! Why did we get these back un-delivered?!?!".

I asked what could be done to help right this situation. (I did not make demands, and I was not rude. I nicely asked can the fans be re-shipped to me or could they ship new fans to me.)

Newegg made less than ZERO attempts to put things right. In fact, I was told that when the fans show up at their warehouse, an auto-initiated RMA refund will occur, and, guess what? There's a restocking fee of $15 for the fans.

So...not only will I not receive the fans I paid for, I will be charged $15 for not receiving them.

No offers were made for any of the following: A discount on a future order to offset the restocking fee, no price adjustment offered to offset restocking fee, no offer to waive restocking fee...

Looks like I'll have to initiate a chargeback.

I would give it a few more days. It sounds like your package is in limbo right now.

Just a follow-up.

UPS states they made a mistake and apologized. They said they hired a bunch of seasonal help and it was a temporary driver who, evidently, cannot count from one to three, who attempted 2nd delivery and incorrectly marked the package as Final Attempt.

Normally, after a final attempt is made, UPS holds the package at the local facility for 5 business days for me to stop by and pick it up. In this case, however, UPS is adamant that Newegg did not choose to allow the package to be held.

When I contacted Newegg regarding this part, they state that it is not up to them. Newegg did not realize I had conferenced UPS into the call so when they said they had no control over this, the UPS person, Lisa, piped in that Newegg DOES have the option and explained how they can enable/disable this feature of their UPS account by choosing a particular shppin number schema.

For example: 1ZWE3XXXXXXXXXXX = Do not hold the package while 1ZQE3XXXXXXXXX = Do hold the package after 3rd delivery attempt

I contacted Newegg once more after that. On my last attempt I reached someone who agreed that I should not pay a re-stocking fee. I will see a refund sometime next week but, even with a total refund, I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the whole deal so I ordered from another company and chose FedEx this time.

It's just really the time of year. ALWAYS, ALWAYS i have at least some kind of issue from nov/Jan because of all the extra help UPS, USPS, fedx hires for the holidays.. new egg has always been fantastic for me.

If you see a FedEx truck on your street anytime soon, ask for a signature card that will allow them to drop off the packages without you being present.
My FedEx guy (and United Package Smashers too) will drop things inside my back door (off the driveway) so things don't get swiped or rained on...good guys!

If you see a FedEx truck on your street anytime soon, ask for a signature card that will allow them to drop off the packages without you being present.
My FedEx guy (and United Package Smashers too) will drop things inside my back door (off the driveway) so things don't get swiped or rained on...good guys!

Thanks for the information. If I had a house I would definitely do that.

Because I live in an apartment, I choose to either meet the delivery person or I'll call the 1-800 number and ask that the do not attempt delivery again. (I didn't get the 1st infonotice on this issue, only the mistaken final attempt...first one must've been removed or blew away. It's happened before)

I'd rather drive to the local facility to pick it up. I'm lucky enough that I live directly in between the UPS facility and the Fed Ex facility. A trip to either local facility is a 9 minute drive.

I tried calling UPS and asking them to put a hold on my account so that no package delivery attempt is ever made, but they say they cannot do that.

Happens to all of us at some point or another. Most of the time it's a genuine mistake and the guys will be happy to help.

One of my deliveries came, after ringing the doorbell and waiting ten seconds (this is no exaggeration) the guy threw my package over a fence. I answered the door 5 second later to see him climbing into his van and he shouted "I threw it over that fence".

5 minutes later it started to rain and I didn't have the keys to the back door. I was just staring at my soaking goods from the window, lol

Back