• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why dont we all just buy opterons?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I was looking at opterons, and they are the same price as A64's per ghz. I can get a 2800+ with 512k or cache and single channel ram for $170, or an opteron 142, which is 1.8ghz as well, but with dual channel and 1mb of cache. Is there some reason we dont buy opterons? Do they not overclock or something?

I was doing a bit of thinking, and it may be because you need ECC ram, but who cares!? You get basicly a 939 board/chip for much cheaper!

Ecc ram is expensive. The real reason is that all opterons, ALL OF THEM, max out at around 2.1 or 2.3 ghz(cant remember which). This means that those of us with anything more than air are screwed :(
However, the opteron 142 or 144 would be a nice, extremely fast budget processor. I think more people should consider opteron, the SK8N is an nforce3PRO-that means it has locks, which are essential to it. In conclusion, most people dont run it cause of the completely locked mults and ECC ram. However, if you have ECC ram, you can really make a very nice cheap system using the opteron.

Back