• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why increase voltage? What is the proverbial OC wall? Read for some answers!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
geko said:
Hey this might explain why a couple of times ive got better bench results (over 50 points or so) from a lowered voltage at the same speed.

indeed it would. more voltage => more heat; more heat => less efficient energy transfer.
unfortunately, that trick won't work on my cpu :) I already have the vcore as low as it can go before it becomes unstable...

Last edited:
/me will probably stick it, but before I do, I have some comments/questions.

The reason why we can only get so much performance out of the chip is because of the system of overhead used in the pipelining process. Just like any assembly line, the pipeline in a CPU can only perform each step as fast as the slowest stage in the pipeline. For example, if the pipeline stages have the times 8-2-2-3-2-10, we would have to operate every step at 10 or above so all following instructions in the pipeline have time to complete the last stage. Most chips are actually set up to have a safety region, a kind of overhead. In the case of the above example, we may actually make the time 15 or even 20 just to make sure everything completes correctly (also varies by speed of CPU, see 3.0-3.4 comparison, same core).

If we overclock it too far, we may actually make the time allowed less than that minimum, like 9. If the amount of time gets too low, instructions may be unable to complete one or more stages of the pipeline, producing erratic and almost always unbootable results. This is one of the proverbial walls to overclocking a CPU. The other primary walls are heat and electron migration.
The bolded sentance is confusing and making it hard for me to understand exactly what you are trying to say. If I am reading it right, you seem to be saying that the chip designers slow down the speed of each pipeline stage (by increasing the number of cycles an instruction will stay in the stage) to some "lowest common denominator". This makes sense, but there are some stages of the pipeline (for example, Fetch) that don't seem possible to predict the amount of time they'll take. If the data for a Fetch is in L1, you've got a cycle or two wait. If it's in L2, you've got 3 or 4 cycles. If it's in main memory, you've potentially got dozens of cycles. Paged to disk, and we're talking thoudands or more cycles. While they probaly do "size" each pipeline stage to some specific number of cycles, I don't think they nesscesaraly base it off the worst case scenario (since I doubt they're waiting 1000 cycles for each pipeline stage just in case they need something that has been paged). Should an instruction take longer than expected, the pipeline just stalls.

Also, if I am reading it correctly, how can overclocking decrease the time that they've designed each instruction to take? The pipelines will wait 10 cycles, regardless of if they're running at 3GHz or 4GHz. Unless they're designing so that each pipeline stage takes X seconds (which wouldn't really make sense), I don't see how this could actually happen....

Very good read except for that part :)
JigPu

The case of a memory fetch, write etc are a special case. You are indeed correct, a fetch will stall an instruction for a given amount of time depending on where the fetch is from. My intent was to show that generally speaking, in the case of an operative stage of the pipeline, the speeds of the other stages are generally based on the slowest one. If you want to get really technical, some of the stages are actually longer stages split over a period of time, but the circuitry needs to be designed to handle that. You can't have a stage that is wired to run in one clock cycle run in two just because it will take that long, it will instead give unexpected outputs.
Some engineers would actively split the 10 unit time I gave into two seperate 5 unit intervals, so that the new longest cycle time was actually 8. However, introducing a new stage introduces another interlock penalty, so in effect it could potentially worsen performance. Such is the nature of electrical engineering :) it's all about hunting for that sweet spot. I don't know, I guess I was trying to not be too technical about it...

All stages in the pipeline (other than a fetch/write) are given the same amount of time to complete because we're working with synchronous machines. The way the timing is handled is generally the worst case scenario, depending on headroom; the headroom is extra time left during the cycle after the stage has actually completed its work. Overclocking effectively reduces the headroom available, and eventually you will find the limit of the particular chip when you not only run out of headroom but start reducing the amount of time available for the stage's work itself to complete. Then, the stage is unable to complete and 'interesting' errors will likely (almost guaranteed, actually) occur.

I'll edit later tonight, I have to leave for work shortly.

peace.

Last edited:
There may no longer be enough time for the voltage to propagate across those microscopic wires between transistors for the necessary voltage to accumulate

Voltage does not propogate, electrons do.

Heat is an obvious one, because the more heat is produced the more voltage is required to perform the same task (reduced electrical efficiency).
He means as heat increases the resistivity of the interconnects increase and hence a decrease in electrical efficiency. Also more resistance = higher heat output, so an overheated component is converting electrical energy to heat energy.

A pretty good effort. Stick!
:thup:

Last edited:
icesaber said:
Electron migration is the point at which a chip will most likely die. It's when so much voltage is being put through a wire that some of it leaks off to a neighboring wire, producing erratic results. You can compare it to a case of a river during a heavy rainstorm; Once the water level overruns the edges, it may actually erode fresh streams and offshoots from the original river, which will keep flowing after the storm has passed. If this happens to the CPU, the chip is almost guaranteed finished. You may as well make it a new hood ornament. Since heat is directly related to molecular motion, it's plain to see that higher operating temperatures can easily increase the risk of electron migration. The simple solution to this is better cooling. Bear in mind that electron migration really occurs no matter what because of temperatures and the nature of electrons, but that's why the tolerances exist. That way, a certain amount can occur without producing unexpected results. There is no sure way to tell when this has killed your chip, it is just one possible way that a CPU can burn out (although it's quite common). So if your CPU suddenly burns out, this may be the culprit.
If what ou're talking about is electromigration, you are a little off. "voltage" isn't leaking to neighboring wires, neither is current. The "wires" (interconnects, in a cpu) actually end up moving due to momentum transfer form electrons. Here's a great link:
http://www.csl.mete.metu.edu.tr/Electromigration/emig.htm
They have some awseome pictures of actual circuits being opened or shorted by electro migration. The rest is right on, though, incerased heat and increased current increase electromigration. On the other hand, it became a much smaller issue when companies began to use Cu interconnects instead of Al ones.

In the spirit of the excellent point raised by Gnufsh allow me to add a bit of current research to it.

What has been ignored thus far is the Casimir Force. Hendrik Casimir, a Dutch Physicist wrote a paper which said that there is an attractive force between two closely spaced surfaces even in vacuum. This attraction is not electrostatic but by the exchange of virtual photons between the two surfaces.

Vacuum as we know it is not empty, but a bath of fluctuating energy. Particle pairs are spontaneously created and destroyed. The particles carry with them momentum and hence energy. They cannot be detected, because that would violate Heisenberg's uncertainity principle, between Energy and Time. In brief, the particles are so short lived that they cannot be detected.

How does this apply to semiconductors? As you pack things together, there could be motion as said by Gnufsh and the Casimir Force. The Casimir Force exists regardless of whether there is a current or not. This has been ignored by Engineers till now.

An excellent write-up can be found here:-
http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/15/9/6

Pay particular attention to this paper in the reference list:
K Lamoreaux 1997 Demonstration of the Casimir force in the 0.6 to 6 micrometer range Phys. Rev. Lett. Vol,78 5

icesaber said:
The case of a memory fetch, write etc are a special case. You are indeed correct, a fetch will stall an instruction for a given amount of time depending on where the fetch is from. My intent was to show that generally speaking, in the case of an operative stage of the pipeline, the speeds of the other stages are generally based on the slowest one. If you want to get really technical, some of the stages are actually longer stages split over a period of time, but the circuitry needs to be designed to handle that. You can't have a stage that is wired to run in one clock cycle run in two just because it will take that long, it will instead give unexpected outputs.
Some engineers would actively split the 10 unit time I gave into two seperate 5 unit intervals, so that the new longest cycle time was actually 8. However, introducing a new stage introduces another interlock penalty, so in effect it could potentially worsen performance. Such is the nature of electrical engineering :) it's all about hunting for that sweet spot. I don't know, I guess I was trying to not be too technical about it...

All stages in the pipeline (other than a fetch/write) are given the same amount of time to complete because we're working with synchronous machines. The way the timing is handled is generally the worst case scenario, depending on headroom; the headroom is extra time left during the cycle after the stage has actually completed its work. Overclocking effectively reduces the headroom available, and eventually you will find the limit of the particular chip when you not only run out of headroom but start reducing the amount of time available for the stage's work itself to complete. Then, the stage is unable to complete and 'interesting' errors will likely (almost guaranteed, actually) occur.

I'll edit later tonight, I have to leave for work shortly.

peace.
There is some work being done on clockless processors. I know Intel did some a while back, and I think Sun is working on it now. You have to add in additional circuitry to synchronise some things, but you end up getting a faster processor by letting some tasks complete faster than they otherwise would have.

It looks like ARM is actually going to use some similar technology in chips:
http://www.rootshell.be/~upadhyay/2004/11/clockless-processor.html
http://www.handshakesolutions.com/ARM_processor.html

For those who don't know, I believe ARM is a company that designs CPUs, but I don't believe they actually make any. This one is just going to be a design people can liscense to make, and was supposed to be available Q1 2005.

Back