• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Intel is not > AMD....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Intel's Prescott (Probably Pentium 5) is coming out soon. That could mean some competition performance-wise for Athlon 64.

Last edited:
Prescott will be the next Pentium4 core :)
I believe Pentium5 will have an integrated IA64 chip for the same sort of idea as AMD64's both world (32 and 64 bits) theme.

ShakyJake said:

Yes, it DOES make it easier. Being able to adjust the multiplier removes other variables in the equation. Less = easier.

*sigh* It doesnt make it easier at all. It doesnt remove variables, it adjusts them. There is no more simplified/easier way of overclocking then simply pushing up the FSB. YES adjusting the multiplier can reap more benefits in the end, but it does not make it easier. Lets look at it this way...

Just FSB: adjust FSB to the max the chip will handle stably, and be done

Multiplier and FSB: Lower the multiplier to an insanly low number. Next, bump up the FSB to get the max from your memory, rather then your CPU. Lastly, slowly bump up the multiplier to gain the max from your CPU. Now, when your bumping up the multiplier, most people will end up hitting a "reserved" multiplier (ie: one that will not post with the CPU set to it). In that case, they have to reset the CMOS, and then go back into the BIOS, reset all their custom settings, and start again on the long haul up the multiplier trial and error.

Now, tell me again, which is easier

Evnas said:

*sigh* It doesnt make it easier at all. It doesnt remove variables, it adjusts them. There is no more simplified/easier way of overclocking then simply pushing up the FSB. YES adjusting the multiplier can reap more benefits in the end, but it does not make it easier. Lets look at it this way...

Multiplier and FSB: Lower the multiplier to an insanly low number. Next, bump up the FSB to get the max from your memory, rather then your CPU. Lastly, slowly bump up the multiplier to gain the max from your CPU. Now, when your bumping up the multiplier, most people will end up hitting a "reserved" multiplier (ie: one that will not post with the CPU set to it). In that case, they have to reset the CMOS, and then go back into the BIOS, reset all their custom settings, and start again on the long haul up the multiplier trial and error.

Tell me why you cant just set it on AUTO like I have so far, and up the fsb? :D Works fine for me =P

Evnas said:

This is where you're going wrong: Don't think of it as multiplier and FSB. Just multiplier, okay?

So multiplier only vs. FSB only. Which is easier? Multiplier because you DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE SPEED OF YOUR RAM.

SO, which is easier:

Multiplier = only having to be concerned with high how the CPU can get

FSB = gotta worry about CPU frequency AND memory frequency

Now, with unlocked AMDs you have the benefit of multiplier AND FSB to fiddle with. But hey if the individual can't mentally handle both of those, then hey pick one and have fun.

Can't do that with Intel (or newer AMDs :mad: )

P.S. With the ABIT NF7-S all I have to do is choose "3200+" from the menu, save and exit. Can't get any easier than that.

dippy_skoodlez said:

Tell me why you cant just set it on AUTO like I have so far, and up the fsb? :D Works fine for me =P

Again, i never said you cant. Your looking at my posts as "AMD overclocking vs Intel overclocking" which they arent ;)

ShakyJake said:

This is where you're going wrong: Don't think of it as multiplier and FSB. Just multiplier, okay?

So multiplier only vs. FSB only. Which is easier? Multiplier because you DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE SPEED OF YOUR RAM.

SO, which is easier:

Multiplier = only having to be concerned with high how the CPU can get

FSB = gotta worry about CPU frequency AND memory frequency

Now, with unlocked AMDs you have the benefit of multiplier AND FSB to fiddle with. But hey if the individual can't mentally handle both of those, then hey pick one and have fun.

Can't do that with Intel (or newer AMDs :mad: )

P.S. With the ABIT NF7-S all I have to do is choose "3200+" from the menu, save and exit. Can't get any easier than that.

In the case of multiplier only or FSB only, FSB is still the easier of the two way to overclock. Bumping up the multiplier you will still run into "reserved" ones, again causing you to reset the CMOS and lose all your custom settings. Going the FSB route, you will notice instability in Windows far before the system wont post at all, making it easier in the long run.

Going just the multiplier route is easier in theory, but not in practice.

^^^^

exactly

also - u can set your ram to AUTO to make the ratio automatic :)

so u dont have to worry about your ram :D

Back