• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my signal so weak on my Netgear WGT624???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

Guys... and ladies... I need help. I am trying to set up a wireless network in my house. I have the Netgear WGT624 router, and the WG311T wireless adapter. this is suppose to be the super G. The computer in my room next to where this router is sitting gets a super strong signal. however, just 2 rooms down the hall, 1 computer with the same wireless adapter, and another computer with the Netgear MA111 USB wireless adapter gets an extremely weak signal. It barely connects up to 1MBs and will drop signal. It can't hardly keep the internet connection on. I thought this router is suppose to have a very good signal over a pretty nice range. In my house, the 2 rooms are seperated by a laundry room in the middle. Both rooms are barely over 30Ft apart.

A friend of mine actually told me to stay with a B router, because B has a much further range. Is this true??? This WGT624 is backwards compatible and it does not make sense to me that the signal is so weak. Can someone help me out please?? Is there something I set in the router to get a stronger signal?

You say you have a laundry room between them. The appliances in that room might be interfering with the signal due to the signal bouncing off them. Fridges and what not are the same. Have you tried going 30' in the other direction of the AP?

Well, I didn't try that. Right now, I am on the 2nd floor. I will be setting up another computer in the basement as well. I did move the router to the first floor and all computers in the 2nd floor barely get a signal too. Is there a signal booster I can buy and connect to my router? I have WEP set up as 128bit. I am planning to set up access control after that, so I am not worried about people hacking into my router. will that work? And if it does, where can I buy the signal booster?

Back