• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Water leaking over Walls in Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

St4ubf1nger

Hey!

[First time posting, sorry when something is not correct]
I am trying to get into Watercooling, and have looked a lot of videos and stuff.. But one thing strikes me odd for some time now.

When you watch a block get filled, you can see, that some of the water flows OVER the walls, that are made into the block.
I assume these walls are made to controle, where the water is going, but i dont understand, why there should flow water ABOVE them.

There are videos of blocks being filled on Corsair's website, and you can see the effect I desciped above, when following the bubbles and water flow.
Here is a link: https://www.corsair.com/de/de/Kateg...IES-GPU-Wasserblock-(2080-FE)/p/CX-9020002-WW

So here is the question: Why are the walls not made fully to the cover of the block? Is that intendet or manufactured poorly?

Greetings from Germany

What do you mean by the walls of the block?
I dont know what you are asking.

Are you saying in the space where the water is not supposed to be you are seeing it?

How about a picture please.... host here at the site.

He means this corsair-hydro-x-series-xg7-rgb-2080-ti-fe.jpg
normal flow would be the blue line, although on the link he provided from corsair's website you can clearly see water flowing in the direction i represented with red arrows.

That must be an early model block with defect, you can see that they have change the channel design considerably.

edit: It might just be high tolerances, since isn't a big problem because it's contain in the gasket. But in my experience with gpu blocks from ek, yes they tend to let some liquid make its way in the same way, but its over long periods of time and not nearly as much as shown by corsair.

Last edited:
Sorry for not pointing out correctly what I meant.

But godevskii has figured it out :) Also he provided a picture of the situation, thank you for that!

Those "high tolerances" you are speaking of, do you think it would affect the flow and cooling considerably?

Those "high tolerances" you are speaking of, do you think it would affect the flow and cooling considerably?

I can't be 100% sure without testing, but i would say with 99% certainty that the impact in temperature and flow with be null or within margin of error.

Back