• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why shouldn't I go back to XP64. (w7-64 atm)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KinesongPayaso

Registered
could you guys give me a few good reasons why I should stick with win7-64bit, over XP64?

i5 430m
HD5470
4gb mem

used mostly for old school games, like diabloii, warcraft iii, ragnarok online
other stuff I use: autoIt, eclipse Helios/Galileo

let's not worry about the why-would-you-even-want-to-go-back-to-XP
and focus on why-I-shouldn't-go-back-to-XP

XP 64-bit doesn't use the same kernel as the 32-bit counterpart. It uses Server 2003's kernel....this can cause some issues with certain applications. Think back to Halo's PC release; when it was first released, it wouldn't install on XP 64-bit as it stated that it needed an OS newer than Windows 2000. A patch later fixed this, but look into your "legacy games" before you take the plunge. ;)

Oh, a fellow Ro player! :D
I think you can work around most win7 related issues you might encounter instead of trying to deal with that kernel.
I had an old laptop with win2000 and it played most games fine, but newer stuff was complicated -it had a decent gpu, more driver/os related issues- I would've preferred win98se or a tweaked win xp 32bit instead but well...

ps: What server are you playing at?

Win 7 64 bit is probably the best OS I have used from Microsoft ever. I am running the Professional edition. Unless you had old hardware that did not necessarily have driver updates for Windows 7, I fail to see any other reason for using such an obscure OS (XP64). Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. If you like it, and can get your apps/games to run on it. No one can tell you NOT to use it!

^ I agree - it's a pretty good OS. If you're looking to support older applications and they don't require a ton of resources (namely GPU support) then a virtual machine running XP or even something older would get the job done.

Memory management in XP is bad. I have XP (32-bit) on a virtual machine at work, and it reminds me every day that despite being a good OS at the time, it's pretty sucky compared to Windows 7.

I think it ran out a while ago. Let's see... http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173 I don't know what "extended support" is.

Extended support is for companies who have partnerships with MS for their XP keys. It gives another year or so of support.

The average end user does not have this type of support.

To the OP, you should do more research windows 7 is a better OS in every way. There is not one thing that XP had that 7 does not. It is safer, more user friendly, and easier to maintain day to day.

Most people who say this to me at my office say this because they dont like change. If this is the case you can turn off aero and go back to the classic theme.

But I would never go back to XP. During the Vista time sure, but 7 is way better than XP. If you really want more exact reasons I can give them to you but from working as a sys eng. for years I promise you it is not a good idea to downgrade.

Win7 64 works surprising well with almost everything out there. XP64 stinks. It was nothing to beat your chest about back then and it is a totally inferior product since Windows 7.

First of all, are you sure you mean Windows XP 64-Bit and not the more stable Windows XP 32-Bit? I don't know about 64-Bit XP but I am still mostly using 32-Bit Windows XP since (if you're not using the sleep mode) the absolute *only* difference b/w 32-Bit & 64-Bit is being able to use 4GB+ of RAM which no individual program I use needs anyway so I'm fine with under 4GB of RAM.

But:
• Windows XP allows you to group files or folders on different parts of the screen whereas in Windows 7, you can *only* do this on its Desktop and nowhere else. If grouping files and folders before sorting them out is important for your work, it's hard to even think of leaving Windows XP which will be officially supported for another 2+ years, long after even Windows 8 comes out. I don't now why people have been citing support concerns for the last two years, we have another two to go!

So Windows 7 has no option to turn Auto-Arrange off. Microsoft could not make this work without it crashing Windows 7 so their solution was to just disable it. :screwy:

• Windows 7 Search Engine S-U-C-K-S big time. I have to reboot from Windows 7 into Windows XP every time I need a reliable file Search: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616264

Windows 7 Bug: Error-checking an external drive results in a memory leak. If you use Windows 7 to check a (large) external drive for errors, you will run out of system resources due to a memory leak bug. There is no known fix yet. Further discussion of this bug is on the forums: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=616911

• Windows 7 Annoyance: We should be able to completely disable Scan and Fix (recommended) pop-up for Flash drives. Windows 7 insists on needlessly scanning Flash drives over & over & over again. Windows XP doesn't bother me when I insert a USB Flash drive.

EDIT: Solution: Start > Run > type:
msconfig
> OK > Services TAB > Click on Service to Alphabetize the display order > Scroll down and UNCHECK: Shell Hardware Detection [it disables Scan and Fix Flash Drive nag] > OK > Restart

• Windows 7 Annoyance: Trying to get rid of "Windows can’t verify the publisher of this software" warning when installing drivers. It cannot be disabled, even if:

Start Menu > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Double click on Code signing for device drivers > Enabled > (below Enabled) click on the down arrow next to ‘Warn’ and select Ignore.

• When you right click on a web shortcut link, the correct current location of its custom icon is not displayed. But this is a problem on every system from which IE 6 is removed and replaced by Internet Explorer 7 or later, even if you use Firefox or other web browsers.

Last edited:
could you guys give me a few good reasons why I should stick with win7-64bit, over XP64?

i5 430m
HD5470
4gb mem

used mostly for old school games, like diabloii, warcraft iii, ragnarok online
other stuff I use: autoIt, eclipse Helios/Galileo

let's not worry about the why-would-you-even-want-to-go-back-to-XP
and focus on why-I-shouldn't-go-back-to-XP
Windows 7 is nice w/ multiple monitors, I thoroughly enjoy being able to 'throw' windows from one side of my desktop to another.

Also the city on the back of the turtle personalization 'theme' is pretty hysterical.

Also, security is an issue. ******* hackers are always up to exploiting various loopholes, nooks, crannies. Older versions of windows aren't likely to get security support from microsoft.

That is simply not true. Windows XP has more than two years of full support left on it.

We'll be on Windows 8 SP1 by the time Windows XP's support ends...

• Windows 7 Search Engine S-U-C-K-S big time. I have to reboot from Windows 7 into Windows XP every time I need a reliable file Search: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616264

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this one. I LOVE (let me repeat: LOOOOVE) the search functionality in Win7 10,000 x better than XP. Indexing for instant results, ability to instantly search contents, boolean searches and integration with Outlook and Office have made my life far better.

Windows 7 Bug: Error-checking an external drive results in a memory leak. If you use Windows 7 to check a (large) external drive for errors, you will run out of system resources due to a memory leak bug. There is no known fix yet. Further discussion of this bug is on the forums: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=616911

Yup, this is a confirmed bug, but not a showstopper, IMHO. Minimem solved the problem for me.

.... Windows 7 insists on needlessly scanning Flash drives over & over & over again. Windows XP doesn't bother me when I insert a USB Flash drive.

I've yet to experience this...

As far as the other annoyances are concerned, I'd not consider them sufficent cause to not use what is otherwise a far, far superior OS in all other ways, but that's just me...

In terms of security, Win7 is more secure by design from the kernal up. Although XP will have security patches until 4/2014, it's inherently less secure than Win7.

I could live with the rest of it except for not being able to group files or folders on different parts of the screen when I'm in Windows 7. Since Windows 8 is the same, it'll be a multi-boot for me and I'll reboot into Windows 8 only when I have to because I cannot move and place items on the big screen whenever I want wherever I want. I feel my hands are tied without this.

I agree that Windows 7 Search engine has far more searchable qualifiers but you have to have a cheat sheet for it - there is no Graphic User interface for it - making it virtually unusable for average users. But I could also live with that too, but there is something that makes Windows 7 search engine unreliable, it does not produce hits when they are there. And the problem is not consistent. In other words, sometimes it will hit and sometimes it will not hit search terms that are present on the system. I took screen shots as proof of this. I gave up on the problem after I realized it could not be repeatedly replicated.

So the problem would appear sporadically, and so as a result, if I get hits, I'm half-way OK, but if I don't get hits, I have to reboot into Windows XP just to make sure that they really aren't there. And when I reboot into WinXP and actually get hits, knowing I correctly used Windows 7 Search Engine, and it gave me nothing, I get :mad:

Thanks for the minimem reminder, why do they not fix Windows 7's disk scanning, it's been way too long.... :( Ask your reps next time ;)

For those that love XP I understand. It took two Blonds and C-4 to get me to switch. Their is a learning curve and for me that was about 2 weeks but I'm thick headed. I'm still learning of course. It doesn't work like XP for one reason, it works better once one takes a little time to learn how to do it. All the little tweaks we use to do in XP to get things to work better well Windows 7 doesn't need or want tweaking. Very few 3rd party programs are needed for Windows 7, it's built in once you learn how to use it. I do my learning on the Windows 7 Forum.

...there is something that makes Windows 7 search engine unreliable, it does not produce hits when they are there. And the problem is not consistent...

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if appending meta data (details) to a file would make it show up in a search. My thought runs like this: the index is tied to NTFS data for a given file; if a file was created on a computer running a FAT32 OS (ala, Win98) and then copied to an NTFS computer, might the necessary data for indexing be absent?

Mere speculation here; perhaps no basis in reality, and I realize that this does not solve your problem, c627627. Just a possible experiment to try to narrow the search (pun intended) for the cause.

Back