• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED why, why, WHY? p3 667...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

mark

Sup all, wow new forum i see.
Well, I have a Retail Slot 1 p3 667 with a Asus P3V4X and 384mb pc133 ram--infineon brand cas 2 (WHAT's THAT MEAN?). I have the weak retail hs/f off and put a dual fan heatsink with some thermal compound. Right now (as i am on) My computer is running 740mhz @ 1.65v with very nice temps. I have been able to get it to 750 @ 1.80 and 1.85v, but when I try to reboot after some burning at 750 i am unable to POST at 750. Why? How long should i keep burning the chip in? I also am Running A LOT on my 300w power supply; 5hds,1dvd, 1cdrw, 1floppy, voodoo 5500, 120mm sunon High Speed, and two 80mm sunon High Speed fans, along with those 2 on the cpu. I got some USB stuff also but eh. I need to connect another HD, making 200+gb. Yes, 200+ I run a ftp site and people are leeches. Will this be too much for my 300w to take? I know how to connect another PSU but really don't wanna have to cut my case again. Also what p3 slot 1 cpu would you guys get to hit 1ghz? 700, 750,800,850,900mhz? Well let's see how many people come to this new part of the forum.

Mark...

Sounds like you could use a 450w server power supply for all your extras, but I don't think that power will keep you from posting after burnin... given my limited knowledge, I would say it sounds like too much heat...

what kind of heatsink are you using & what are your temps under full load?

I am running a slot 1 650e on the P3V4X @911 MHz (still in the burnin phase @ 2 weeks, and plan to continue for next few months) using an Alpha P3125... I get about 40C under full load (SETI & Prime95) and about 31 idle

Oh, as a result of burnin, I am now able to do the above @ 1.7v (used to take 1.75v)

Kris

Your CPU is a Slot 1? Cause if you were using a Slot 1 adapter here is what I found out this weekend:
I put together a Celeron 566 this weekend (with asus P3v4x) and an Abit slotket III. The silly thing would only post 50% of the time at 850 even with the BIOS set for 1.75V. This bothered me since it was 100% stable when it would boot.
So, I got to thinking, maybe the card needs to be jumpered to give 1.75 (perhaps the cpu is defaulting to 1.5V before the bios jumps it to 1.75) well, long and short of it is, after I jumpered the Slotket to 1.75V and set the BIOS the same, WHALLA, posts and boots EVERY time, runs Rock stable (unlike before).
I have actually owned this system for about 3 months, and was never succesful at getting 850 to post all the time (that is until I sold it and figured out the slotket this weekend)
Anyhow, just thought this might be useful.
Good luck

The first reason that comes to my mind is that the clock generator on the chip is getting too hot. The next reason is that maybe the chip is maxed out and it needs more voltage. I doubt your PSU is maxed out right now but a 400 watt PSU wouldn't hurt [I love mine :) ]. Later.

Back