• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why z170 over x99 or z97?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for some purposes the new Skylakes under Windows 10 can have huge performance jumps over previous gen chips.

Hmm. Didn't know this. I'll have to find more. Any justification I can find to upgrade, is good justification ;)

I'll link stuff here if I can find it again. I was just browsing various reviews for the skylake and - I want to say "a couple of them" had some tests which shows a significant jump in performance for some application tests but only when running Win10. I assume it's related to changes in the multithreading scheduling support in the OS + chip, or something similar, but mostly I was in a "wow, check that out" mode rather than really taking notes on it. The article(s) didn't have any idea why either - just that they were told to expect that, and there it was. :)

Back