• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wifi Card Needed for Tower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

Can anyone recommend a good wifi card that would be compatible with this motherboard in my tower? EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

So is the PCIe X1 slot blocked or free?

It sounds like he only has the gpu installed so that would leave 2 PCIe x16 slots and 1 PCIe x 1 slot and some regular pci slots free.

Can't recommend a specific card unless you tell us what wireless speed you are trying to achieve and what band you are using (2.4 or 5ghz). There are several options here to look at. If you're running wireless N then that top result from ASUS with the rebate looks solid. If you need AC speeds you're going to have to spend more....

It sounds like he only has the gpu installed so that would leave 2 PCIe x16 slots and 1 PCIe x 1 slot and some regular pci slots free.

Can't recommend a specific card unless you tell us what wireless speed you are trying to achieve and what band you are using (2.4 or 5ghz). There are several options here to look at. If you're running wireless N then that top result from ASUS with the rebate looks solid. If you need AC speeds you're going to have to spend more....

Thanks everyone. The tower is my old rig that I gave to my kids for school work. It's in our family room and my modem is in another bedroom, so I'm just looking for a plain 'ol wifi card that will allow the kids on the internet. I have a UBEE Modem through Brighthouse. Right now, looking at the config online, I'm running 802.11 @ 2.4ghz Bandwidth 20mhz.

I attached some pics of the available slots.

Attachments

• img 50.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3747 - 50.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3749-50.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
I'd rather go the card route then messing with a new router and settings.

Then get a card with a Qualcomm (Atheros), Intel, or Mediatek (Ralink) chipset. Those three brands are the best chipsets available. The Intel and Qualcomm cards tend to be especially cheap on Amazon.

I still recommend a router since you can easily move it around. And it can be shared with other devices (e.g. a printer) should the need arise.

How would i do that with the phone line I have going through the cheap router the cable company provided?

How would i do that with the phone line I have going through the cheap router the cable company provided?

The router will not replace what the cable company gave you if it is a modem/router combo. You should be able to turn the wireless off though for the modem/router they provided and then you just connect the modem to the new router's WAN port using ethernet.

Tachi donot believe that is what is being suggested. They are proposing using another router connected to the remote computer as a bridge to the wireless router that is supplying the Internet.

Back