• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wii get's a version of Gamebryo (Oblivion Engine)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting.

Definatly be cool to use something thats a little more current of an engine if its semi decent to code/make games with. Too bad it won't look like Oblivion on the console but it will work.

Interesting.

Definatly be cool to use something thats a little more current of an engine if its semi decent to code/make games with. Too bad it won't look like Oblivion on the console but it will work.
Civilization 4 doesn't look anything like Oblivion, but it still uses the same engine. Oblivion also (ab)uses Speedtree which creates the nice looking grass and forests. ;)

But this is certainly interesting for the Wii.

I look forward to seeing some games with this engine. I got Madden 08 for the Wii and it reminds me of playing Madden 05 on a PS2. Not only is the Wii capable of better graphics, the Gamecube was capable of better graphics.

I don't expect much from the Wii, but I expect graphics that at least approach Xbox levels.

I look forward to seeing some games with this engine. I got Madden 08 for the Wii and it reminds me of playing Madden 05 on a PS2. Not only is the Wii capable of better graphics, the Gamecube was capable of better graphics.

I don't expect much from the Wii, but I expect graphics that at least approach Xbox levels.

The Graphics on Zelda:TP (I know, old news) are spectacular. Seriously, they are stunning. Much better than any xbox game I played or ps2, and matches some of the ps3 games I've played.

lol don't kid yourself, Twilight Princess doesn't look as good as any next gen games. You must not be on an hdtv or something...

Metroid Prime 3 is probably the best looking Wii game that I have seen. It looks much better than Twilight Princess and I think it is on par with the late xbox games if not better.

Metroid Prime 3 is probably the best looking Wii game that I have seen. It looks much better than Twilight Princess and I think it is on par with the late xbox games if not better.

i think zelda: TP looks just as good as restistance: dall of man for ps3, both using a non hdtv

yes i have a wii, and a friend of mine has a ps3 so ive seen both so its not something from some SS on the net

I don't own a ps3 so I wouldn't know anything about Resistance but twilight princess is no where near the graphics quality of Gears of War or Bioshock.

There's your problem...

I thought resistance looked amazing, then I got a HDTV and my jaw dropped.

Then I played the GT HD demo and it's been hanging there since. :eek:

i cant afford a hdtv, and ive always been a nintendo kid

i still go to school and im trying to save up for a new comp, so i really cant afford a hdtv

I got Madden 08 for the Wii and it reminds me of playing Madden 05 on a PS2.
That's EA for you. It's not because of the hardware. Just look at the PC versions of Madden/FIFA/Tiger Woods 08. The engines used for the PC are just the same engines used in the 05 versions and are looking horrible. Does justice to your 8800GTX. :D

Twilight Princess, while a pretty game, is nowhere near what it should be. It's a Zelda game w/ waggle tacked on, and while it was fun, and pretty, it was nowhere near as nice as it should've been.

For a true taste of the Wii's graphical prowess, you should be looking towards Metroid Prime 3. It's not Gears of War, but it's certainly not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Twilight Princess, while a pretty game, is nowhere near what it should be. It's a Zelda game w/ waggle tacked on, and while it was fun, and pretty, it was nowhere near as nice as it should've been.

For a true taste of the Wii's graphical prowess, you should be looking towards Metroid Prime 3. It's not Gears of War, but it's certainly not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree. TP was Ok, but MP3 is truly a pretty game. I have the other systems, so I can make a real comparison. Oh, and if you can, the Wii looks 100% better on a CRT.

Oh, yeah. Oni, did you get that friend voucher I sent you? I tossed one your way to see if I had everything configured properly, but I forgot to message you.

I agree. TP was Ok, but MP3 is truly a pretty game. I have the other systems, so I can make a real comparison. Oh, and if you can, the Wii looks 100% better on a CRT.

Oh, yeah. Oni, did you get that friend voucher I sent you? I tossed one your way to see if I had everything configured properly, but I forgot to message you.

Yeah, I got it. I also fired you one back. My last one, actually. I've gotta start playing again! :)

Why did you buy it if you hate it sooooo much!??

Tip for you:
http://www.smashmywii.com/

Please don't feed the troll, guys. He'll only keep coming back if you feed him. Without food, the native forum troll will find another bridge to hide under.

As for the engine itself, I think this could herald some very expansive games in the future. The Gamebryo engine is very robust, so it will be interesting to see what various developers can do with it, even in a stripped-down form.

The lack of ram (64 mb ram w another 24 for the gfx chip) will neuter this engine to the point that you won't recognize it. Wii isn't about gfx and they've admitted as much since day 1.

The thing here to notice is people are starting to develop or at least try and optimize engines to work on the Wii. Sure the engine being optimized here looks great on other platforms, but it is going to be so gimped on the Wii that it will basically be an entirely new engine as far as visuals are concerned.

Back